Suspension Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 1999 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 with 134,000 miles on it. The suspension is mostly original - I had a replace a couple of ball joints, etc. I am planning to replace the suspension with upgraded parts, but likely won't do a suspension lift (may do body lift). Was thinking about Energy Suspensions, etc., but looking for recommendations.

Any help you all can provide would be greatly appreciated.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've installed the full Energy Suspension kit of my old autox/track Saturn (don't laugh). It's a massive project. And I think that kit had fewer pieces.

If you're replacing control arms and whatnot, you can press those in ahead of time and should make it a lot easier.

OP
OP
H

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was thinking of replacing upper and lower control arms, etc. Essentially, I want to replace all of the bushings (as the metal pieces are still in great shape, as is the rest of the truck, no rust, no nothing... amazing)... is it easier to just do that?

rtbrjason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've replaced everything on mine since picking it up 3 years ago with 127k on it. Control arms, ball joints, tie rods, sway bar links, idler arm etc all with Moog replacements with grease fittings. I did Bilstein shocks all around as well. Rides very well.

OP
OP
H

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Where is Moog made?
I don't have any concerns about the metal on the truck, just the bushings. Am I being short-sighted?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I put on Moog idler arm and pitman arm on my 2000 4x4 expy. The reason I chose that brand was two fold. 1 was they have grease fittings, others don't. And 2 a good friend who is a pro mechanic recommended them. I grease them when I change my oil/filter. We'll see how long they last. These SUVs are hard on suspension because of their weight. Good luck Moose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Moog is USA made at least that is what is on the box of the 2 upper control arms I have sitting in the kitchen
Check Rock Auto or e-bay

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello everyone... need some advice on shocks. I was going to wait to do a 3/2 lift, but I cannot do that right now... and I have the stock shocks on my truck (1999 Expy with 160K miles on it)... they need to be replaced... given that these have lasted so long, should I just replace with Motorcraft (OEM), or should I change to Rancho / Bilstein, etc.? I know some comes down to personal choice... just looking for ideas.

Thanks in advance.

tcwaltz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I have a 2000 EB and I've done just about everything on the suspension on this. I used Energy Bushings on all the sway bars, new end links. I replaced the lower ball joints with Moog Problem Solver Ball Joints and replaced the upper control arm and ball joint assembly with new Moog Problem solver units. I always use Moog when I can for all my cars for suspension. Just good parts. I put Arnott Air springs in the back and left the air ride intact. I am using KYB MonoMax Shocks front and rear. They are a little stiff but when loaded or towing they great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1