SYNC Update taking forever!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Well... got our '16 about a month ago. Loaded the update onto a flash drive from Ford. Have driven close to 2 hours and update still doesn't finish. Anyone know about how long to expect for the update to take? I'll add that the SYNC version is 1.0

As far as wanting to update, the Maps are all off! I assume this update only updated the system and not the maps? Are there any other features that I should expect with the update once it does finish?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well... got our '16 about a month ago. Loaded the update onto a flash drive from Ford. Have driven close to 2 hours and update still doesn't finish. Anyone know about how long to expect for the update to take? I'll add that the SYNC version is 1.0

As far as wanting to update, the Maps are all off! I assume this update only updated the system and not the maps? Are there any other features that I should expect with the update once it does finish?
Go to CyanLabs, and download their updater. Make sure you program in the current version correctly. Cyan updater can also do the maps. You will most likely have to step it up. 1 to 2, 2-3.3, 3.3-3.4. But let the updater make the decisions for you. Post here with any errors. Also can post in the CyanLabs forums. They are VERY helpful!

OP
OP
L
Reaction score
Go to CyanLabs, and download their updater. Make sure you program in the current version correctly. Cyan updater can also do the maps. You will most likely have to step it up. 1 to 2, 2-3.3, 3.3-3.4. But let the updater make the decisions for you. Post here with any errors. Also can post in the CyanLabs forums. They are VERY helpful!
Thank you for the info.
I have been seeing a few folks mention CyanLabs. I guess I am just a little hesitant when it comes to third party entities. Mostly worried I will screw it up and lock my unit down, and I don't think my ext-warranty will cover my foul up.
If it wont work on my next 2+ hour trip, from the thumb drive I already have downloaded from Ford, I might have to give Cyan a shot! I haven't attempted it for longer than an hour or so drive up to this point.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thank you for the info.
I have been seeing a few folks mention CyanLabs. I guess I am just a little hesitant when it comes to third party entities. Mostly worried I will screw it up and lock my unit down, and I don't think my ext-warranty will cover my foul up.
If it wont work on my next 2+ hour trip, from the thumb drive I already have downloaded from Ford, I might have to give Cyan a shot! I haven't attempted it for longer than an hour or so drive up to this point.
CyanLabs uses the Ford methods, but stream lines it. If it does brick, which I don't think it will, you say you were following Ford's update procedures and it failed. They will not be able to tell.

BlueStangGT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Every time I've done a Sync update it takes forever and there's very little in the way of screen info to tell you exactly what's going on. I may try the CyanLabs thing next time the issue comes around for me.

RRFry

Reaction score

I did a USB download for SYNC 2, (after Ford dealer service department could not update to latest on SYNC 2). It took about 30 min. I did "bail out" and then had to use a FAT formatted USB drive, and a second download, file was not just right, with all files in root etc. This was on a 2015. I can now update the nav maps (I hope.)

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I did a USB download for SYNC 2, (after Ford dealer service department could not update to latest on SYNC 2). It took about 30 min. I did "bail out" and then had to use a FAT formatted USB drive, and a second download, file was not just right, with all files in root etc. This was on a 2015. I can now update the nav maps (I hope.)
2015 Are Sync 2, the Maps are on an SD card, and haven’t been updated in years!