Tailgate paint bubbling/corrosion resolved?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2000GM

Reaction score
Hi guys. My wife and I are seriously considering a 2016 or leftover 2015 Expedition. Our 2011 has been a great truck for the 5 years we've had it, but it has the typical tailgate corrosion making the paint bubble up.

Does anyone know if this issue is still happening on the newer Expeditions? I'd REALLY hate to go spend a lot of $$ (either a Limited or XLT with the 202a package) and have this issue pop up again when the truck is 2 years old.:puke:

flumpydog

Reaction score
Hi,

Wish I could give you a definitive answer this is fixed, but time will tell. I had a 2010 and the tailgate was a mess, so I feel your pain. I also just got rid of a 2000 Expy and the tailgate on it was perfect, grrrrr...

I just bough a 2016 and what a difference, it is like a completely different vehicle to the 2010, so I do not think you will be unhappy with it. Sync 3 is way better than that prior system and is only available in the 2016, so you might want to consider this when deciding on the 2015 vs 2016.

Good luck on whatever you decide! ;-)

Btw, Ford recently issued TSB 16-0028 that has expanded the model years to include your 2011, recognizing this problem. Does not not appear however they are stepping up to the plate to fix this.

Chuck

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
too early to tell on a 2 yr old truck...guess I got a good truck cuz I don't have that issue and mine is an 04

OP
OP
2000GM

2000GM

Reaction score
That's not encouraging that the new TSB covers through model year 2016 Expeditions, Explorers, and F150s....that tells me they are expecting them to continue having the issue. I'm starting the pickup truck shopping process and can't even imagine buying a '15-up F150 where the whole body could have this issue! It's a shame because 3 of my last 4 new trucks have been F150s and I like the styling of the new ones.

The TSB simply identifies the problem, and tells service how to repair it. As you stated, I'm sure cases where Ford has actually footed the bill for it are extremely rare.

On my 2011, I had resolved to just figuring on taking it to a body shop, once it got bad enough. If we were going to keep it, that is. The way the 5.4 liter went downhill fast after 100,000 very easy and cared for miles in my 2007 F150 though, I think we'll be trading the Expedition in soon.

flumpydog

Reaction score
I really loved the 5.4, had it in both the 2000 and 2010 and put a ton of trouble free miles on both. That was my personal biggest reservation in going with the 3.5 Ecoboost. Yes I had some issues in the 2010 with the exhaust manifolds, but that was covered under warranty and they never acted up again. After my wife and I drove the 3.5, we both smiled a lot. The tailgate was a problem, but it never went straight through, so the way I figured it, it was 6 yrs old and I am confident this 2016 will be good for 6 yrs and I will worry about it when or if it happens.

Not sure if you have taken one of the new 2015 or 2016 Expeditions out for a drive, but I am still very pleasantly surprised at how much of a change it is, steering, power, handling, comfort factor and like I said Sync 3 works great. I do not regret one bit taking the plunge. I am also getting about 15 - 20% better fuel mileage, which is a bonus. I also tow a heavy travel trailer, and can hardly wait to see how great a job the 2016 does in towing, as I know it will pull that trailer with ease. ;-)