Taking bets - lets see who wins armchair diagnosis!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andyak

Reaction score
Ford dealer is at least a week out until they will even look at it - and I will wait for the codes and check engine before bringing it in again.

Details:
Ford 2019 exped platinum bought used with 94000 mi. Now at 98k. Outstanding condition all around - looks like a 20k truck.

No audible noise at startup except the turbo rattle from cold start that lasts about 1 to 2 minutes. Subsequent starts have no rattle and no noticeable phaser noise.

PROBLEM:

-Yesterday had rough idle at a light and then poor accelleration, and whoop whoop noise when attempting to accelerate - noticed a bit of turbo boost wavering at this point.

-drove ok but lack of accelleration. made it to destination. after an hour I drove home.

-On drive home I had Check engine light come on and experienced same rough idle, bad accelleration , no noticeable whoop sound.

FORScan at home: P0011 Camshaft bank 1 over advanced
P0016 Cam Position Correlation Bank 1 sensor A

Today I cleared and did relearn - It drives like a champ right now without any issues.

What is your best guess that the Dealer will find?

PS - I do have extended Fordprotect
PPS - I have had the rough idle 2 other times since I've owned it but it cleared up right away.

Lets see who wins the Diagnosis!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford dealer is at least a week out until they will even look at it - and I will wait for the codes and check engine before bringing it in again.

Details:
Ford 2019 exped platinum bought used with 94000 mi. Now at 98k. Outstanding condition all around - looks like a 20k truck.

No audible noise at startup except the turbo rattle from cold start that lasts about 1 to 2 minutes. Subsequent starts have no rattle and no noticeable phaser noise.

PROBLEM:

-Yesterday had rough idle at a light and then poor accelleration, and whoop whoop noise when attempting to accelerate - noticed a bit of turbo boost wavering at this point.

-drove ok but lack of accelleration. made it to destination. after an hour I drove home.

-On drive home I had Check engine light come on and experienced same rough idle, bad accelleration , no noticeable whoop sound.

FORScan at home: P0011 Camshaft bank 1 over advanced
P0016 Cam Position Correlation Bank 1 sensor A

Today I cleared and did relearn - It drives like a champ right now without any issues.

What is your best guess that the Dealer will find?

PS - I do have extended Fordprotect
PPS - I have had the rough idle 2 other times since I've owned it but it cleared up right away.

Lets see who wins the Diagnosis!

If you have an appointment with a Ford dealer, why did you clear the codes?

If the codes and symptoms do not return, the Ford dealer may tell you they are unable to diagnose your issues.

OP
OP
A

andyak

Reaction score
if the codes and symptoms do not return then there is not a reason to have service. The truck has been running perfect since. Hence I am asking for diagnosis, not critics. I have the codes - I shared them with you. If this happens again I did plan on leaving the codes as I stated.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if the codes and symptoms do not return then there is not a reason to have service. The truck has been running perfect since. Hence I am asking for diagnosis, not critics. I have the codes - I shared them with you. If this happens again I did plan on leaving the codes as I stated.

As you asked - this was my best guess for what the dealer will find.

OP
OP
A

andyak

Reaction score
Still running great today.... I wonder if there is some crud that may be moving in the VCT solenoid and causes issues sometimes....

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well you cleared the error so dealer might say don’t know and send you packing. How old is the battery? Old or bad batteries can easily cause electrical issues with various systems and sensors even tho it starts up. When my 4yr old battery got soft I noticed goofy shifts and unresponsive throttle inputs randomly about 4 days later I noticed the sun roof wouldn’t open. New battery and all was fine again.

Used unknown history truck? Also possible it was run with a aftermarket tune and you now are seeing issues with various systems as a result. The aftermarket tune BS doesn’t play nice with Ecoboost engines.

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Clogged/dirty fuel filter. Failing fuel pump.