Test Drive...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
81k. Reserve with tech only.

Although we might also do the speaker upgrade...

A Reserve with tech only has a lot less features than a similar priced Platinum. Is the extra luxury alone worth it in your opinion?

Garrett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A Reserve with tech only has a lot less features than a similar priced Platinum. Is the extra luxury alone worth it in your opinion?

To us, yes.

Better looking vehicle.
Better seats.
Slightly better engine.
Better ride IMO.
Bigger screen and HUD.
middle console in rear.
Interior feels like luxury and unique vs F150 look.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you listen to the regular speakers and upgraded? How noticeable was it? I think the regular speakers sound amazing.
I ordered back in August but had read enough reviews to warrant the upgrade, I wanted the sub as well.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What’s it lacking?
If I’m not mistaken, with the tech package it has all the electronic safety things the platinum has, plus the HUD, plus more HP, better stereo, standard 4x4, this is all I can currently conjure while I wait on my coffee.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What’s it lacking?
If I’m not mistaken, with the tech package it has all the electronic safety things the platinum has, plus the HUD, plus more HP, better stereo, standard 4x4, this is all I can currently conjure while I wait on my coffee.

At $81k you can configure an Expedition with pretty much all the options, some of which are Not included on an $81k Navigator:

- Platinum trim Expy
- 4x4
- upgraded seats with massage etc.
- cargo package/roof rail cross bars
- Driver assist package
- Heavy duty tow package
- Dual headrest screens/entertainment

I think to get the same options in a Navigator you have to spend about $10k more...

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
At $81k you can configure an Expedition with pretty much all the options, some of which are Not included on an $81k Navigator:

- Platinum trim Expy
- 4x4
- upgraded seats with massage etc.
- cargo package/roof rail cross bars
- Driver assist package
- Heavy duty tow package
- Dual headrest screens/entertainment

I think to get the same options in a Navigator you have to spend about $10k more...
The standard seats in the Reserve don’t have massage but it does have 4x4 and the driver assist items and that plus the items the Garrett mentioned were important to him makes the price difference a lot more close when you exclude options he didn’t include as they were not as important to him and this doesn’t include the warranty and their vehicle pick up for service. I’d cut the tow package and roof rails for a overall better looking vehicle with a better ride, both of which are subjective and determined by driving both which he has done. As for me I agree with the interior, Expedition needs something better than what’s in the F150 IMHO.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Finally go to do a test drive yesterday! The tip and slide seats are awesome! You can have them when you pry them from my cold dead fingers! And the configurable driver's information screen lets you view transmission temperature in real time! So we're planning to go ahead an put in an order within the next week-10days.
That said, there are some definite compromises with respect to the GM trucks. The biggest one is that the cargo area is a lot smaller than the Suburban/Yukon XL. On paper it's not that much smaller, but on paper, the cargo area in our Odyssey is bigger than both. The problem is that cargo area is not as deep so there's less floor space and you're stuck trying to stack things and hoping they don't fall over the setbacks onto the heads of the little people in the third row. Second, the GM trucks have much better sightlines. Maybe it's just me, but every time I've driven the current GM trucks, I know intuitively the exact locations of all 4 corners. The rear corners are pretty easy on the Ford (since the tail lights are visible in the mirrors), but I had no idea where the front passenger corner was. (It's better than the Odyssey, but not as good as the GM trucks.) Finally, the 6.2L V8 sounds way better than the 3.5L eco boost.

Note for you in Seattle, Bickford Ford in Snohomish has a pile of Expeditions. It was worth the drive because we were able to test drive a Max with the the 3.73 rear axle. They had two Max's and a pile of short wheel base expeditions hiding in the back. We were able to see Expeditions in Silver, magnetic, stone gray, and Ruby Red.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally go to do a test drive yesterday! The tip and slide seats are awesome! You can have them when you pry them from my cold dead fingers! And the configurable driver's information screen lets you view transmission temperature in real time! So we're planning to go ahead an put in an order within the next week-10days.
That said, there are some definite compromises with respect to the GM trucks. The biggest one is that the cargo area is a lot smaller than the Suburban/Yukon XL. On paper it's not that much smaller, but on paper, the cargo area in our Odyssey is bigger than both. The problem is that cargo area is not as deep so there's less floor space and you're stuck trying to stack things and hoping they don't fall over the setbacks onto the heads of the little people in the third row. Second, the GM trucks have much better sightlines. Maybe it's just me, but every time I've driven the current GM trucks, I know intuitively the exact locations of all 4 corners. The rear corners are pretty easy on the Ford (since the tail lights are visible in the mirrors), but I had no idea where the front passenger corner was. (It's better than the Odyssey, but not as good as the GM trucks.) Finally, the 6.2L V8 sounds way better than the 3.5L eco boost.

Note for you in Seattle, Bickford Ford in Snohomish has a pile of Expeditions. It was worth the drive because we were able to test drive a Max with the the 3.73 rear axle. They had two Max's and a pile of short wheel base expeditions hiding in the back. We were able to see Expeditions in Silver, magnetic, stone gray, and Ruby Red.

Interesting you say that about the cargo room of the Max vs Suburban. I thought we were only talking about 2 inches difference? Ford took those 2 inches from the cargo area and instead put into the legroom of the third row, from what I understand.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Funny enough, I have not even laid eyes on a real one! We have stuck our heads in to two or three dealerships and none have had one in. I am hoping to see one this coming weekend in Greenville, SC at the international auto show. I am taking my daughter to the Harlem globetrotters there and will be dipping into the auto show while there.