Test Drive...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the EL it doesn't matter if it's raining or dry and you don't have to tie your load down because it will not slide out the liftgate once it's closed. I've seen too many sheets of plywood or drywall slide out the open lift gate.

Yes if people don’t know how to load and drive accordingly lol... an EL can’t fix stupid. Ply and drywall comes on flatbeds out in the elements all the time to our job sites it always survives. If your that worried about the hatch you can tie it to the luggage rack on top. If I put it in my 8’ bed it’s out in the open, but in the expy it’s mostly covers and covered by the hatch, still prefer using a pickup it’s way better. I’d rather not sacrifice the driving performance and austhetics to get an EL in my case. The standard wheelbase performs much better offroad as well which my truck sees occasionally.

Last edited:

rcompart

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the EL it doesn't matter if it's raining or dry and you don't have to tie your load down because it will not slide out the liftgate once it's closed. I've seen too many sheets of plywood or drywall slide out the open lift gate.
What this guy said. ^

When we had to unload 20 sheets of sheet rock and half a dozen sheets of plywood, it went from a nice afternoon to downpours and heavy winds that evening. We brought it home with the tailgate tied closed but there is no way we wouldn't have had a mess the following morning had we not unloaded it all that night.

Garrett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just finished a test drive of the '18 QX80 with all the bells and whistles. While it doesn't have the updated infotainment system, it's definitely right up there with the Navigator in ride quality and quietness. It also looks much more upscale on the interior than the expy, like the Navigator.

I'm still having a hard time talking myself into pulling the trigger for the extra 8K for the Gator though, even though that's what my heart says. I think we'll end up test driving the Expy Platinum and Gator reserve again next week before we zero in on hard negotiations.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just finished a test drive of the '18 QX80 with all the bells and whistles. While it doesn't have the updated infotainment system, it's definitely right up there with the Navigator in ride quality and quietness. It also looks much more upscale on the interior than the expy, like the Navigator.

I'm still having a hard time talking myself into pulling the trigger for the extra 8K for the Gator though, even though that's what my heart says. I think we'll end up test driving the Expy Platinum and Gator reserve again next week before we zero in on hard negotiations.
Thanks for the info on the QX80. I was curious about this particular vehicle but just can’t get over the exterior. Is it full time AWD? The Lexus LX doesn’t look bad but my goodness are they pricey.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What this guy said. ^

When we had to unload 20 sheets of sheet rock and half a dozen sheets of plywood, it went from a nice afternoon to downpours and heavy winds that evening. We brought it home with the tailgate tied closed but there is no way we wouldn't have had a mess the following morning had we not unloaded it all that night.

Yup, you know the saying...many people who go with the short wheel base later wish they had purchased the long wheel base, but the reverse is NEVER true. This is true even on the GM forums: Tahoe vs Suburban. It's universal so I think if you're even considering the long wheel base that means you should get it. If you're a single guy and think in your mind that you'll never need long, then stick with the short, but like i said if you're even thinking about the long you need to get the long.

twernst

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ugh every time this particular subject is brought up I second guess our decision to order the short wheelbase. Build day is today so no point in thinking about it now lol

Artie,
I changed my mind 3 times during the build of our boat, salesman wanted the business so he made sure the answer was always, “No problem Tim, whatever you need.” At least that made me feel better even if he never did anything. In reality if they want you business they will make it happen. The LTD I drove on Thursday was sold yesterday when I took the wife and kids just to look at it. They will sell well enough with out you buying that exact one. I like what Aggie and Andy have said or alluded to get what you want, after all that is why we are ordering in the first place. If I had gotten the rear entertainment in my X5 when I ordered I may be more inclined to keep until the warranty and maintenance expires at 100k. I am almost there with 80k mi but it has value on trade-in so not sure which way till end up.r

Last edited:

Garrett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the QX80. I was curious about this particular vehicle but just can’t get over the exterior. Is it full time AWD? The Lexus LX doesn’t look bad but my goodness are they pricey.

Yep.

Also the updated exterior is dramatically more appealing. They finally fixed the front!!!

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Artie,
I changed my mind 3 times during the build of our boat, salesman wanted the business so he made sure the answer was always, “No problem Tim, whatever you need.” At least that made me feel better even if he never did anything. In reality if they want you business they will make it happen. The LTD I drove on Thursday was sold yesterday when I took the wife and kids just to look at it. They will sell well enough with out you buying that exact one. I like what Aggie and Andy have said or alluded to get what you want, after all that is why we are ordering in the first place. If I had gotten the rear entertainment in my X5 when I ordered I may be more inclined to keep until the warranty and maintenance expires at 100k. I am almost there with 80k mi but it has value on trade-in so not sure which way till end up.r

^--- one more for what he said

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
^--- one more for what he said
We will see both the max and the one we ordered when we go to pick it up, if the extra 11 inches makes that big a difference we may switch. I’ll know in a couple weeks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PalosX