Test Drive...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone test out the Massaging Seats?

I've heard good things about them in both the Expedition and the Navigator. However, i was reading this review of the Continental which has the same seats as the Navigator and they were saying the massage motors are too loud. I wonder if this is also the case in the Expy/Navi? Anyone know?

"The Continental also makes available a pair of 30-way power seats with a massaging function for $1,500. Having the ability to customize the seats so much is fantastic, as is the fact that the massage, heating, and ventilating functions have one-touch controls—surprisingly, that’s not the case for every car in this class. What would make this feature more of a value is if the massagers were quieter. On a near-$80,000 diesel-powered Ford F-250 King Ranch truck, you might not be able to hear the buzzing of a massaging seat, but it’s far more obvious on a luxury sedan.

What caused us a little concern about the 30-way seats is the fact that more than one editor noticed that the ones on our tester creaked a little. It’s unclear if this issue is unique to our test car."

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/linc...630DCE371EA3B126522EAB2C8C7A90AC0FD44D1CBDDE2

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone test out the Massaging Seats?

I've heard good things about them in both the Expedition and the Navigator. However, i was reading this review of the Continental which has the same seats as the Navigator and they were saying the massage motors are too loud. I wonder if this is also the case in the Expy/Navi? Anyone know?

"The Continental also makes available a pair of 30-way power seats with a massaging function for $1,500. Having the ability to customize the seats so much is fantastic, as is the fact that the massage, heating, and ventilating functions have one-touch controls—surprisingly, that’s not the case for every car in this class. What would make this feature more of a value is if the massagers were quieter. On a near-$80,000 diesel-powered Ford F-250 King Ranch truck, you might not be able to hear the buzzing of a massaging seat, but it’s far more obvious on a luxury sedan.

What caused us a little concern about the 30-way seats is the fact that more than one editor noticed that the ones on our tester creaked a little. It’s unclear if this issue is unique to our test car."

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/linc...630DCE371EA3B126522EAB2C8C7A90AC0FD44D1CBDDE2
I had them turned on when I test drove a Platinum and didn't notice any noise. Granted, the salesman and I were yammering most of the time, but nothing stood out to me. It wouldn't surprise me if there was SOME noise from them, especially if the ventilation is also on and the radio is off, given all the airflow to/through the seat and how quiet the cabin is.

Joshua DeHaan

Reaction score
Which dealer did you test drive the Max at? We've had a Max Platinum on order from Evergreen in Issaquah, but they are saying ours will be their first one in (January). Would love to test drive one now to confirm.

Bickford Ford up in Snohomish. Had to make a bit of a drive but was a great experience. They had a ruby red platinum max at the time (not sure if has since sold), but may have more soon. They also had a white regular platinum and a black limited regular. The black was sold that day.

Also the sales guy told us they shut down the plant for December and won't be starting orders in January. We didn't mind since we have a flexible lead time. I like Evergreen Ford but I find they mostly deal in F-Series trucks (mainly F150s) so I was hunting around and it seems like Bickford does trucks (they had a lot on the lot) but also Expys. Ford Kirkland also seems to do more Expys than Evergreen but while I didn't have a bad experience with them I just had better experiences with Bickford and Evergreen.

Last edited:

Joshua DeHaan

Reaction score
If you ordered the magnetic gray and can acquire either the fx4 grey wheels or the f150 raptor/sport wheels, your gonna have one clean lookin expy. Idk how the ccd will be affected with the smaller wheels though.

We're actually looking to go 18" Fuel Anza's in Anthracite with black ring and Cooper Discoverer A/T3s, 275/65/18 Load C tires. I've run the 265/70/17 Load C's on the 4Runner for the last 30,000 miles and just enough rigidity in the 6 ply for towing but still keeping decent mileage and they're quiet on the road but with good grip in snow and rain.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
See above
Thanks for the info. I'm in no rush either (just need it in time for camping season next summer). I've also pretty much concluded I'm going to have to order as I want a hen's tooth: FX4 max with the sun roof and the drivers assistance package, preferably in red. But I'd really like to take a test drive and let my wife see one in person before I place an order...

Garrett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just test drove a new Gator Reserve. HOLY CRAP. Now I don't know if anything, including the Expy, can live up to my new expectations.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just test drove a new Gator Reserve. HOLY CRAP. Now I don't know if anything, including the Expy, can live up to my new expectations.
I’m read your Expedition review so now you’ve driven both. How do they compare? I’m in your opinion is the Navigator worth the extra cost? This, of course, takes into account that both are expensive and depending on who you ask over priced so you can skip that portion of your answer lol

Garrett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The seats in both are extremely comfy. I liked the 30 way adjustable, but honestly wouldn't pay extra for it.

However, I would fork over the cash for the reserve (wheels, HUD, panorama, etc) and definitely the upgraded sound system.

My wife and I thought they both rode well, but I felt the Gator had a little more giddyup. This time around I did notice the auto start stop. Not terribly annoying, probably just need to get used to it.

The fit and finish in the Gator was impressive. Tiny details here and there add up. Loved the middle console in the second row!!!

I also went in thinking I'd hate the iPad looking infotainment center, but it's actually quite nice and impressive.

Now the question is how do I get the dealer to sell me an 85k car for 75k!!??!?!!?

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The seats in both are extremely comfy. I liked the 30 way adjustable, but honestly wouldn't pay extra for it.

However, I would fork over the cash for the reserve (wheels, HUD, panorama, etc) and definitely the upgraded sound system.

My wife and I thought they both rode well, but I felt the Gator had a little more giddyup. This time around I did notice the auto start stop. Not terribly annoying, probably just need to get used to it.

The fit and finish in the Gator was impressive. Tiny details here and there add up. Loved the middle console in the second row!!!

I also went in thinking I'd hate the iPad looking infotainment center, but it's actually quite nice and impressive.

Now the question is how do I get the dealer to sell me an 85k car for 75k!!??!?!!?

I can't remember, which Expy are you comparing this too, a Platinum? I'm wondering how much better the Navi is than the Platinum Expy? Meaning, is it worth the extra $10-12k?