The 2008 spark plugs strike again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mangina

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just got the call from service, 8 out of 8 broke.

$1,800 out the door for:

Plugs
Wires
Coolant Flush
Mass Airflow Cleaning
Injector Cleaning
Power Steering Fluid Flush
Tire Rotation
Oil Change
Rear Axle Pinion Seal Replacement
Rear Axle Fluid Flush

All the wife said was "it better purr like a kitten when we pick it up"

How much was the axle seal? Everything other item they did seems like they should each be under $100, even at dealership prices?

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes sorry, they did not replace the wires. The service manager kept correcting me but old sayings die hard.

I was just making sure they didn't charge you for something they didn't actually change.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

JDuncan

Reaction score
I had the dealership I was buying my 07 Limited from change them as part of the purchase agreement. Told them I would walk away from the truck if they didn't. They ended up breaking two of them. What is the PCM reflash you referenced? Does Ford have an update for the PCM or is it something aftermarket?

My07EL

Reaction score
I have an 07, dealer told me today there was a PCM upgrade. I didn't do it, I wanted to look it up first. Of course they didn't say what version I was on or what the new one was.

OP
OP
spotdog14

spotdog14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was just making sure they didn't charge you for something they didn't actually change.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk
I just looked on the invoice, I should have said plugs and coil boots (no wires, you would think at 30 I wouldn't be making these types of mistakes).

Anyways as to the PCM update, the transmission shifts much smoother but beyond that I cannot tell any difference. They said I had the original PCM version in my vehicle.

mike460

Reaction score
How much was the axle seal? Everything other item they did seems like they should each be under $100, even at dealership prices?

Typically dealers charge $60-100 per plug that breaks. All eight plugs broke according to the dealer.....

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought the spark plug problem was only in the '04 - '05 3-valve engines.

Doesn't the 04 still use the 2V engine? The two piece plugs were used until late 08. That's when they changed to the one piece plugs. That being said I've been lucky and changed two sets of plugs without breaking them. Both were changed around the 50K mark and used every trick in the book. My current plugs in the Expy have about 30K on them and I'm thinking about changing them just to be safe.