The 5.4L 3-valve "mileage vs symptoms" thread!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04EddyExpy

Reaction score
I know mine's a 2nd-gen, but it still has the 5.4L Triton, so...

2004 Eddie Bauer 2WD

Bought it in 9/2017 with 146,000 on it, now has 159,000. I have the oil changed every 3-4 months.

Issues:

I hear a slight ticking on the driver's side when accelerating. This is my first Ford, so does that indicate cam phasers? I have no idea.

Some bubbling on the liftgate -- this seems to be pretty common among the early aluminum body panels Ford started using. Thankfully it's not rust. Otherwise the body is in fantastic shape. Chips & scratches here & there but NO corrosion or peeling paint other than the liftgate.

James Cain

Reaction score
Mine is not the blend door. It's the mode door just above the gas pedal. I took the actuator motor out day before yesterday. It seems like the door itself is blocked. I can move it by hand, but only about 15 degrees. I watched a video on Youtube from a guy that replaced his actuator and he could move the door lever almost all the way around. So I hesitate to buy the actuator until I can figure out what else is wrong. I took the actuator apart and some of the teeth on the gear wheel are stripped off. To get to the rest of it requires taking the console out and most of the dash. Not fun, and expensive if I take it somewhere. Might just have to live with it. I'm the 3rd owner of mine. It was a fleet/lease before and then the guy before me bought it. I got it from him and have had it 5 years. It still runs like a striped ape!
Do you have a seperate post about this issue? Im curious to see what you find. I have multiple things clicking inside my dash on both driver and passenger side and dont want to just start buying parts until I’m sure of the issue.

Papaboo

Reaction score
My 2014 Expedition Limited has 76,000 miles and not one problem! Use Amsoil Signature oil., change it once a year about 18,000 miles, doesn't use any oil or leak anything. Looks as good as it did when I first got behind the wheel.

WEDGE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know mine's a 2nd-gen, but it still has the 5.4L Triton, so...

2004 Eddie Bauer 2WD

Bought it in 9/2017 with 146,000 on it, now has 159,000. I have the oil changed every 3-4 months.

Issues:

I hear a slight ticking on the driver's side when accelerating. This is my first Ford, so does that indicate cam phasers? I have no idea.

Some bubbling on the liftgate -- this seems to be pretty common among the early aluminum body panels Ford started using. Thankfully it's not rust. Otherwise the body is in fantastic shape. Chips & scratches here & there but NO corrosion or peeling paint other than the liftgate.

Your 2004 doesn't have phasers, it's a 2V 5.4 :)

04EddyExpy

Reaction score
Your 2004 doesn't have phasers, it's a 2V 5.4 :)
Wonder what the ticking sound is, then... I only hear it when the driver's window is open, or BARELY if I don't have the fan running. I've tried switching from 87 to 89 octane but it hasn't really changed.

Blksmk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wonder what the ticking sound is, then... I only hear it when the driver's window is open, or BARELY if I don't have the fan running. I've tried switching from 87 to 89 octane but it hasn't really changed.

A very minor Exhaust leak ?

Mud turtle

Reaction score
2008 eddie bauer, 113,000 miles
ticking noise when running and faint gas smell thru vents.. Had plugs and coils replaced, no more ticking and gas smell is gone.