The weekend project.. Seeking advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Here's my project for the weekend. Lower steering shaft looks like it's going to be exciting... Living in the northeast is hard on components like this and I noticed a little stiffness in my steering wheel. I sprayed down the U joints and the stiffness disappeared so here's the replacement. I've seen fordtechmakulo video but it was on an f150 so I'm expecting something to be different. Anyone else done it that may have some tips?

The vacuum line is for the IWE solenoid. Includes the Check valve that I currently have an aftermarket from the Help section just to get by. I did have to hack up a couple of the lines to make the aftermarker check work so the lines need to go also. This will be smooth and easy so no questions on this

20180912_193526.jpg

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was this a dealer trip or online trip gixer? I’m contemplating that check valve but after I replaced the passanger side hub lock actuator my grinding has vanished. What was happening that made you determine to replace it? Good luck on the steering.

OP
OP
gixer2000

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Was this a dealer trip or online trip gixer? I’m contemplating that check valve but after I replaced the passanger side hub lock actuator my grinding has vanished. What was happening that made you determine to replace it? Good luck on the steering.
I always visit the dealer. I have a friend in the parts department so the discount is nice.

I tested the check valve with a vacuum pump and it tested NG. One side of the check valve should hold vacuum and the other shouldn't. I looked into this when my hub was grinding. Turns out it may have been poor assembly on my part when doing the lower control arm bushings. Either way the check valve didn't hold vacuum from either side so away it goes

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I here you on the poor assembly, hate when you go in to fix one thing and break another. When I did my hub actuator Monday I ripped the dust boot on my tie rod end clean open, I can’t find it sold separately at all..... was hoping to just change out the boot rather than get into replacing the tie rod end

Last edited:
OP
OP
gixer2000

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I here you on the poor assembly, hate when you go in to fix one thing and break another. When I did my hub actuator Monday I ripped the dust boot on my tie rod end clean open, I can’t find it sold separately at all..... was hoping to just change out the boot rather than get into replacing the tie rod end.
I've had the shafts out of the hub a lot but just didn't get it together right last time. When I just cleaned and greased it I pulled a vacuum on the hub. It was so much easier to get things lined up while under vacuum.

Ive seen boots sold separately but not tie rod specific. I would see if you can measure the diameter of both ends and try to match it

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You guys are young, wait till you do another 30 years or so, and say what the hell did I do. As you get older, the problems don't go away, you just have to figure out I did this screw up 15 year's back, what did I do to correct it? Like I said to Stamp, the partys just beginning! Stick around. Repeat after me, I love working on cars, I love getting dirty! That orange hand cleaner from Oreillys is your best friend! Well that and your favorite six pack!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett