Thinking of buying 03+ expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajent

Reaction score
i've gone through alot of vehicles (mostly tuner cars), and this time i'd like to get a nice big SUV that's enjoyable to drive/ride in. The most i'll be driving at one time is probably not more than 2 hours.

I've decided I want an 03-06 model, because locally they're at a decent price, but milage is pretty high over 60k.

From reading other messages these SUVs handle it well, so i'm not too concerned about that.

I guess my question is what do you enjoy most about yours? (03+)
I'm leaning more towards the eddie bower because of the digital AC, heated/cooled seats, and the power 3rd row seats. I'm not sure what else there is different from it, but that's what I like.

Does any model of expedition come with a nice sound package already installed? Maybe a little sub in the back, or whatever. I'll be adding my own later on but wouldn't mind -something- stock.

Thanks alot!

MaverikDS

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I love my expo but it's a 2001 so older than what you are looking at. I know that the upgraded stock sound system has a built in sub and amp, but they are pretty weak. I believe it's called the mach system and you can usually get replacement's pretty easily that are already preformed for the areas. In mine I have a JL stealthbox that sounds really good and is built into the rear cargo area, so I don't lose any cargo or seat space. You should check those out when you think about upgrading if you purchase. Good luck.

bnvus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by ajent
i've gone through alot of vehicles (mostly tuner cars), and this time i'd like to get a nice big SUV that's enjoyable to drive/ride in. The most i'll be driving at one time is probably not more than 2 hours.

I've decided I want an 03-06 model, because locally they're at a decent price, but milage is pretty high over 60k.

From reading other messages these SUVs handle it well, so i'm not too concerned about that.

I guess my question is what do you enjoy most about yours? (03+)
I'm leaning more towards the eddie bower because of the digital AC, heated/cooled seats, and the power 3rd row seats. I'm not sure what else there is different from it, but that's what I like.

Does any model of expedition come with a nice sound package already installed? Maybe a little sub in the back, or whatever. I'll be adding my own later on but wouldn't mind -something- stock.

Thanks alot!

All EB's come with sub-woofer and a nice sound package. Our DVD player sounds like a movie theater on wheels. Try to look at the 04/05's More so 05 and up because they have the 3V 5.4 that has more power and better gas mileage. Plus they are more reliable than the 03/04.

Tech

Reaction score
I have an '03 V8 4.6L. Absolutely love it. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I just hit 90,000 miles. Runs like it is brand new every day.

jlw0211

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an 03 with the 5.4 and love it. Have had no problems except the usual maintance.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I beat the snot out of mine...... with mods.. broke a rear half shaft once but that was my fault for making too much power and not having torque management enabled on the shifts.....

spartan_117

Reaction score
I've got an '04 Eddie Bauer and love it. It's my first ford truck and haven't had any problems with it. The sound system is great, though I wish the factory sub hit just a little louder. I have a friend with an 03 expy, and the only problem he has had is with the security system last weekend. Some screwed up and the expy wouldn't start. They had to get the dealer to plug in to the computer to reset it. I've only got 47K miles on mine right now, and wouldn't trade for anything, well, maybe for a Mercedes SL63 AMG.....

EGTFitZ

Reaction score
I've got an 03' XLT w/ all the basics and leather. It has just over 100k and the only problem was the rear air switch clicked with the air on. A quick fix and a common problem. I was going to get a EB with all the goodies but here's what you have to think about.

At around 70-100k the bells and whistles you like might give you fits. i.e. power 3rd row. The motor costs between 3 and 400 bones so your'e screwed if that goes out. Climate control/DVD/back-up sensors I haven't heard much problem from.

My 2 valve 5.4 tows AWESOME and hauls when I want it to. The 3-valve is a great engine too but you pretty much have to take it somewhere to change the plugs. If they haven't been changed in over 60k there's a good chance they'll break when coming out. You don't want that in your driveway ;). Enjoy your decision!

bnvus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by EGTFitZ
I've got an 03' XLT w/ all the basics and leather. It has just over 100k and the only problem was the rear air switch clicked with the air on. A quick fix and a common problem. I was going to get a EB with all the goodies but here's what you have to think about.

At around 70-100k the bells and whistles you like might give you fits. i.e. power 3rd row. The motor costs between 3 and 400 bones so your'e screwed if that goes out. Climate control/DVD/back-up sensors I haven't heard much problem from.

My 2 valve 5.4 tows AWESOME and hauls when I want it to. The 3-valve is a great engine too but you pretty much have to take it somewhere to change the plugs. If they haven't been changed in over 60k there's a good chance they'll break when coming out. You don't want that in your driveway ;). Enjoy your decision!

That is true. TSB 06-15-2 tells you the procedures to properly remove the plugs from the 3V motor. However keep in mind the 2V also has a TSB out 07-15-2 which warns of thread removal in aluminum heads. A much more severe problem to worry about.