This may be a dumb question but

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
How do I tell if my vehicle is a V8 EFI 4.6L or if it's a V8 EFI SOHC Windsr 4.6L. I don't have the owners manual and I looked under the hood and just say a 4.6L and 5.4

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you can use your vin. or if you question if the engine was replaced, you can look at a sticker that I can't remember where it is located. somewhere on the driver side of the engine IIRC

B

bedrck46

Not a dumb question as THE ONLY DUMB QUESTIONS ARE THE ONES YOU DONT ASK.

The 99 4.6 will have spark plugs and wires and two coils located in the front (one on each side)

The 99 5.4 will have spark plugs with coils over the plugs (COP's)

There are other ways to tell but this should be the most obivious

B

bedrck46

I am waiting for someone to reply that the 4.6 also has cop's but Ford didn't start that until the 2000 model year

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
can't confirm, my 97 has the wires. Not sure which is better though.. seems like a simple job to need eight coils. I suppose it's for redundancy.

B

bedrck46

Since I have had both the plugs and wires are less work to replace but also with the two coil system (97 thru 99) you have two plugs that fire at the same time. Where as the COP system each plug fires once per cycle. Also with the COP's in order to change plugs you need to remove the coil and that is where the extra work (labor) comes in

OP
OP
U
Reaction score
The reason I ask is I am looking at the auto zone app and trying to figure out what one to select for my vehicle. This is what the sticker says under the hood

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so, with my setup, when it fires both plugs, one is in the exhaust stage? i could imagine that this just wears the plugs out faster but I guess the reduced labor would negate the cost. even so. I hear those coils are upwards of $50 a piece or more.