Thoughts after purchase 99 XLT 4.6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stan

Reaction score
Halo. I'm new to this forum and to this truck as well. I just bought expy XLT, 4.6 99. Sorry for my language - actually I'm from Poland (but used to live in Ireland:).
Got some start questions.
- Heated mirrors - I do not have them (I have only electrical) - how hard is to swap not heated to heated? Is it just about to replace them and connect, or I need to run a wire (from where?)?
- CD changer - I have standard tape/radio but it has buttons for CD too - if I but a CD changer of ebay - is it only about co connect or I need to do something else?
- same story about trip computer (MPG, range and so on) - I do have overhead console, but no computer - what to co have one ?:)

I was thinking and choosing between 5.4 97, and 4.6 99 - I choose the second one? What I won and what I loose? MPG - which one has better?

Many thanks and I'm going back to reading - lot of great information you have here :)
Stan

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The wiring connector is different from heated and non heated i beleive so you will have to add an extra wire. The function for turning on the heat is controlled by the climate control system. You are just better off setting up a seperate switch for the mirrors which actually might be nice. If there was a trip computer installed previously you just need to get a new one but if not, there are a network of sensors that the computer needs so it would be more work then its worth to add it in. The CD changer should just plug right in into a spot inside the center console storage area. The wiring should be still there. The 5.4L has more HP then the 4.6 but they get about the same MPG.

buzzcon

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The function for turning on the heat is controlled by the climate control system.

Did it change from 98 to 99. My 98 manual say's the heated mirrors turn on with the rear defroster.

Attachments

• heatedmirrors.jpg
    heatedmirrors.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 31