Throttle body failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was driving to the store this evening when the wrench came on and a strange error warning on the left side screen. Throttle pedal was 100% completely nonresponsive. Luckily the road wasn't busy and I was able to pull off and restart the car. I drove it 2 blocks and it did it again, this time setting a check engine light. I used my sctX4 to pull the code, P2112.

Is there a better throttle body I can purchase or will any do? I'm sure the Ford dealer will be pretty proud of theirs. The truck has 58k miles and my wife now won't drive it till its fixed. I filled it up with gas (it was nearly empty) and we drove it to the store and back without issue. I have a CPO powertrain warranty through Ford but I don't believe that covers the throttle body.

Scary though, what if I had been pulling across a busy road and it happened? I'm surprised a recall hasn't been issued for this as it seems to affect the F150s as well and is a major safety concern.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My son-in-laws Suburban had the same failure with his throttle body. I think it’s a common problem with the drive by wire throttle bodies on most makes. I thought I read they are mostly made by Delphi. Maybe someone else can clarify this.

Last edited:

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
TBs are like $120 and a few bolts for the factory part.
Fairly easy swap. One bolt is a pain to get to but a fairly simple job. Certainly worth doing yourself.
Aftermarkets are like $350

Msport

Reaction score
I had to replace the throttle body on my 2013 toyota camry and used a Cardone brand, so far so good, haven't reached 1 year yet though. Don't remember if OEM was Delphi.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wifes aunt went through 3 drive by wire throttle bodies on her 2010 fusion. If it's a similar design it's a giant pos and will fail again. She had OEM each time and no difference in quality. It cut out once as she was leaving a light and almost got plowed into by a semi. I'll never own a vehicle with one as long as it's an option. This was all in less than 80k miles. A dealer maintained car owned by a retiree who drives like shes 102, bet that car never saw about 50% throttle in its life until the day it failed and she floored it out of fear.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Might be good to mention if you're a V8 or an Ecobeast

OP
OP
C

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the ecoboost motor. Dealer quoted me $200 plus a gasket for Motorcraft part. I bought a lifetime warranty unit at oreilys locally for 96 bucks (included new gasket). Installed it in 15 minutes, did reset procedure, and all is well. Throttle is much more responsive now and downshifts are faster with less lugging. I'm sure this will all go away once driving habits are relearned though.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the ecoboost motor. Dealer quoted me $200 plus a gasket for Motorcraft part. I bought a lifetime warranty unit at oreilys locally for 96 bucks (included new gasket). Installed it in 15 minutes, did reset procedure, and all is well. Throttle is much more responsive now and downshifts are faster with less lugging. I'm sure this will all go away once driving habits are relearned though.

You did the smart thing with the lifetime warranty. Normally I go oem but if I owned an EcoBoost I would not in this case. Reports are the oem one isn’t much improved and fails at about the same interval, now you get it for free if it does!

OP
OP
C

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yah, that was my thought exactly, and it was also half the cost. In the past 4 months I've spend $500 on non powertrain repairs, (guage cluster and now the throttle body). The clock is ticking (and so is the motor) on how long it will have a place in my garage. I think at 85k and while still under warranty, it will be time to trade in for a smaller SUV for the wife and finally get back into a pickup.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65