Throttle body failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No tools or software needed for either the GM or Ford.
Here is GMs relearn procedure.

That’s the video I saw. Turns out my neighbor was holding out on me, had a bad fuel pump, too!

OP
OP
C

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Poor quality.

My failed unit was spotless inside when I removed it, and was the Ford original fomoco part, at 58k miles. Replacent is identical except where "fomoco" is stamped into the plastic, it looks like someone took a hot iron or something and burned the letters smooth. Probably from the same assembly line/facility as the oem part. If it gets me another 40k miles, I'll count myself lucky.

Toddb

Reaction score
TB failed on my 2016 EL 3.5 ecoboost, at about 60K miles. I got the wrench first then after restart the CEL. Luckily was local and not on the highway with trailer in tow. Was able to mostly coast downhill to the local Ford dealer. Despite the extended warranty disclaimer for the TB the local service manager at Galpin Ford was able to call it in and get it covered. As explained to me, the ECU loses track of the throttle position in a typical TB failure and throws the wrench and eventually CEL. Service manager said replacement TB should not have same problem. Good to know I'll have options with aftermarket if it happens again. At 78K now. Really not fond of the GM-ish styling of the 2018+ so this one has to last a while!

Bobmc

Reaction score
Hey all, got a semi off topic question involving a throttle body reset procedure. My neighbor has a 2003 Silverado that needs the reset procedure done after a new throttle body install. I looked on the Silverado forum but didn’t see much help. Is there an app or program like forscan that I can do this reset with on my phone or laptop with my OBDII adaptor? @LokiWolf @Black
Thanks!
I just replaced the throttle body on my 2010 EB. Really helped the vagueness and throttle response lag. The old one wasn't terribly dirty but I suspected the throttle position sensor anyway. The relearn procedure I used was the one in my owners manual that followed the battery maintenance section. Here's the steps it calls for...

2010 EB relearn procedure.jpg