throttle body for 5.6l on 2004 exp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olbaldi

Reaction score
I can't seem to find ahigh performance throttle body kitfor the 5.6 l engine in the 2004 expedition.any reason why they stop at 2003? I can get spacers but not anew throttle body.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try searching for a 5.4l? (Not being a smartass :p)

I didn't think the engines changed much from 03 to 04, unless you got a 3V.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there any gain with replacing the throttle body?

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More air in, I'd assume? Don't you have to tune for this? Thought I remember something about having to adjust/buy a wider range MAF for the increased air flow?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
everyone says its a waste of money...the MAFs i've seen for performance have been hundreds of dollars...$400 plus for Granitelli MAF

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
More air in, I'd assume? Don't you have to tune for this? Thought I remember something about having to adjust/buy a wider range MAF for the increased air flow?

But the engine is only going to use so much air. If the engine never needs more then 700cfm and the stock throttle body is rated at 800cfm, there's no reason to upgrade. I know a lot of guys talk about throttle response down low. But that's because of the larger opening allowing more air in at smaller throttle angle. But at WOT there is no change because the motor doesn't need the extra CFM. Granted I'm just throwing numbers out. I don't know the actual ratings. I just know in the Mustang side of things throttle bodies are pretty much a waste on N/A motors. The stock throttle bodies can be used in applications with over 600rwhp.

More then likely the tune is for the drive by wire set up. The values have to be adjusted for the airflow difference because it can cause issues with the torque management. Depending on how much more air is flowing through a larger MAF might be needed, but unless some major changes have been made to the motor I don't see the stock MAF being a problem.

everyone says its a waste of money...the MAFs i've seen for performance have been hundreds of dollars...$400 plus for Granitelli MAF

A MAF by itself won't give any performance increase. The MAF only needs to be upgraded if the current MAF is pegging. Most tuners will tell you to run as small a MAF as possible in order to keep the low end resolution which helps part throttle driveability. Like if a BA2600 has enough range to cover the airflow then there's no reason to step up to a BA3000.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

olbaldi

Reaction score
Thanks for Throttle Body Advice

I meant 5.4l...I appreciate the info on the cfm rating and whether a new throttle body would help increase performance. I've seen throttle body extenders that claim to disrupt the airflow and provide better performance.

Frankly, I am looking for ways to start beefing up the performance on this vehicle and have looked at the ram air kits. That's where the issue of the throttle body came up and I found that none of the kits included 2004 5.4l engines. Perhaps they increased the cfm in 2004 design.

I figured increased airflow would be my starting point and then I would begin looking at new headers and dual exhaust. My plan is to re-tune for each of the modifications to assure I'm not creating problems in other places. It's been a long time since I've worked on modifying an engine but if this is going to be my hobby when I retire, I want to get started with this vehicle.

Thanks again for the advice...

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
But the engine is only going to use so much air. If the engine never needs more then 700cfm and the stock throttle body is rated at 800cfm, there's no reason to upgrade. I know a lot of guys talk about throttle responce down low. But that's because of the larger opening allwoing more air in at smaller throttle angle. But at WOT there is no change because the motor doesn't need the extra CFM. Granted I'm just throwing numbers out. I don't know the actual ratings. I just know in the Mustang side of things throttle bodies are pretty much a waste on N/A motors. The stock throttle bodies can be used in applications with over 600rwhp.

More then likely the tune is for the drive by wire set up. The values have to be adjusted for the airflow difference because it can cause issues with the torque management. Depending on how much more air is flowing through a larger MAF might be needed, but unless some major changes have been made to the motor I don't see the stock MAF being a problem.

A MAF by itself won't give any performance increase. The MAF only needs to be upgraded if the current MAF is pegging. Most tuners will tell you to run as small a MAF as possible in order to keep the low end resolution which helps part throttle driveability. Like if a BA2600 has enough range to cover the airflow then there's no reason to step up to a BA3000.

Agree 100% !!

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I meant 5.4l...I appreciate the info on the cfm rating and whether a new throttle body would help increase performance. I've seen throttle body extenders that claim to disrupt the airflow and provide better performance.

Frankly, I am looking for ways to start beefing up the performance on this vehicle and have looked at the ram air kits. That's where the issue of the throttle body came up and I found that none of the kits included 2004 5.4l engines. Perhaps they increased the cfm in 2004 design.

I figured increased airflow would be my starting point and then I would begin looking at new headers and dual exhaust. My plan is to re-tune for each of the modifications to assure I'm not creating problems in other places. It's been a long time since I've worked on modifying an engine but if this is going to be my hobby when I retire, I want to get started with this vehicle.

Thanks again for the advice...

My guess is 2004 is when they went to throttle by wire which complicates things.

Throttle body spacers were a take off on old school carb spacers that were designed to create turbulence to help atomize the fuel. This does nothing for multi port fuel injection when fuel is introduce just ahead of the intake valve.

kmh1596

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 5.4 3V did not go into the Expedition until 05 MY. It was put into the F150 in 04, however.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1