throttle body spacer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
LOL a TB spacer???

Wasting your time and money. Try a Gott mod (Google it) and a good old fashioned performance muffler. More air in plus more air out equals more power.

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I installed one on my explorer when trying to get the most mpg out of it. I don't think the mileage or power changed at all. But the throttle response was quicker. I think it's probably because the throttle linkage was changed around a little bit, and less movement of the pedal resulted in greater movement of the throttle body.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you cant get horsepower when looking for mpg...its either or...or minimal to both...i have superchips vortex...used the power setting for 87 octane...WOW!!! unleashed the beast...then switched to GAS X for mpg....WOW!!! what a difference...instead of burning 1/2 tank per week...i went to 1/4 for back/forth for work....OUTSTANDING!!!

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have one because with my K&N CAI it has a loud whistle from air sucking in so it was worth it to me... I bought one on EBAY from a machine shop and paid like 30$...

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you cant get horsepower when looking for mpg...its either or...or minimal to both...

I believe you can get both depending on the mod. Increasing efficiency will get you both mpg and power. For instance, underdrive pulleys. They remove some parasitic drag, which on the dyno adds about 5-7 hp usually. At the same time the engine doesn't have to work as hard, and mpg will increase slightly.

Another situation could be efficiency with the fuel mixture. The closer you are to a perfect peak fuel mixture, the better the power, and also the better the mpg. On my 350Z the factory had made the high rpm fuel mixture very rich as a safety margin to keep the cylinders cool, and last longer. The biggest thing Technosquare does as part of their computer upgrade is to correct the overly rich mixture, and pick up about 18 hp overall. The mileage also gets better by about 2 mpg.

One last thing lol. I swapped out the stock exhaust on my 350z with a true dual system. After resetting the computer my mpg (at 65mph) went from 29 to 33 average. HP gains for that system are claimed to be 12 hp. Not bad, and I gained power/economy by removing a restriction and being more efficient.

kenzo14

Reaction score
Wasting your time and money. Try a Gott mod (Google it) and a good old fashioned performance muffler. More air in plus more air out equals more power.

I have heard of this from a friend and I am pretty interested in doing it on my expedition too. For the meantime, I have to research and read some guides on this to make sure it goes smoothly.

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe you can get both depending on the mod. Increasing efficiency will get you both mpg and power. For instance, underdrive pulleys. They remove some parasitic drag, which on the dyno adds about 5-7 hp usually. At the same time the engine doesn't have to work as hard, and mpg will increase slightly.

Another situation could be efficiency with the fuel mixture. The closer you are to a perfect peak fuel mixture, the better the power, and also the better the mpg. On my 350Z the factory had made the high rpm fuel mixture very rich as a safety margin to keep the cylinders cool, and last longer. The biggest thing Technosquare does as part of their computer upgrade is to correct the overly rich mixture, and pick up about 18 hp overall. The mileage also gets better by about 2 mpg.

One last thing lol. I swapped out the stock exhaust on my 350z with a true dual system. After resetting the computer my mpg (at 65mph) went from 29 to 33 average. HP gains for that system are claimed to be 12 hp. Not bad, and I gained power/economy by removing a restriction and being more efficient.

sounds like a little of both...so how the fuel mixture on the expedition? pulleys are down the road for me...thanks for the info...so i can add this to my "to do list"...

03blkstanggt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i had nothing but problems when i had underdrive pulleys on my car but as for the tbs i like mine and i saw on the mpg thing on my gauges that it went up from 14.3 to 15.1 but i babied the truck when i first put it in. now i ride pedal to the metal =)

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember, a tbs helps accelerate incoming air but your MAS limits how much your engine can have period...change out your MAS first, then more metered air can come in and your computer will recognize and compensate for it

so if we change the MAF...do we change the entire part or just the sensor chip for it? i've been researching this and the best value i've come across is JET MAF...Ganitelli is costly...any inputs is greatly appreciated.