Timing Chain loose? Need help...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Am3ricanInfid3L

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys.
So I'm currently sitting in my dead Expy right now, in a City Market parking lot. I turned on the truck, and began to pull out of my parking spot, when I heard a loud "POP". Immediately afterwards, it starts knocking like crazy..

I'm guessing it's the timing chain, but I don't think it's totally broken, since I was able to find another parking space before shutting it off... I figure I'd ask the Fourms and get some ideas while waiting on another ride.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These are interference engines, when a timing chain lets go you are having a bad day at the least. It will bend all the valves on the side that lets go.

Check and see if you launched a spark plug.

OP
OP
Am3ricanInfid3L

Am3ricanInfid3L

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These are interference engines, when a timing chain lets go you are having a bad day at the least. It will bend all the valves on the side that lets go.

Check and see if you launched a spark plug.

So not the timing chain? I'm not near it right now, so I can't check it tonight...
I just had the plugs replaced last month, so maybe I got a bad set? I've never blown a plug before, so I would have no idea on what that's like. My Expy has never left me totally stranded before till now. It kinda sucks! :suicide:

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn't run it until you find the cause. Ford and their infinite wisdom skimped on the amount of material in the spark plug bore. The plugs are held in with 4 threads. Torque amount is very important to reduce the chance of launching one or more of them.

When a plug gets launched, it turns the cylinder into an air compressor and has a loud chugging sound. If you have never heard it before it can be somewhat scary. It will still run but your not sneaking up on anyone...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Am3ricanInfid3L

Am3ricanInfid3L

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I just did some research on the "sound" it makes so I could compare it too what I experienced, and yep... I'm 90% sure I threw a plug. I'll check tommorow to be 100%.

Any idea on what I'm looking at cost wise for a repair? All I know is basic repairs and preventive maintenance. (Something tells my my wallet is gonna hurt after this)

And am I able to limp it too a shop? Or should I get it towed?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It depends on the distance to the shop. If you drive it disconnect the injector plugto "kill" the injector as a precaution.
Read up on the different inserts used, ask the shop if they have done that repair before. Timesert is one brand that has had good reviews.

OP
OP
Am3ricanInfid3L

Am3ricanInfid3L

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Alright, sounds good. I'm going to go ahead and get it towed, just to be safe. Thanks for the help! Unless something else comes up, I suppose this Thread can now be closed.

:mfr_closed1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69