Tire pressure at 45 pounds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went out and lowered them to 39psi. I'll see tomorrow how it rides.

How is it now since you lowered?

Picked up my 2019 platinum the other day for the dealer. They didn’t get a chance to prep it. Tire pressure was 48-50. I have since lowered it to 39.
Maybe they overfill them when they ship them??

Same question?

iamretired

Reaction score
I got a 2015 with
Wrangler DuraTrac - Size: LT275/65R18, tire shop said 35psi, I have 40psi, rides fine, goodyear states psi can go up to 80Psi? depending on trailer load? To me I thought 50psi, might be better for tire wear, not towing anything?

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got a 2015 with
Wrangler DuraTrac - Size: LT275/65R18, tire shop said 35psi, I have 40psi, rides fine, goodyear states psi can go up to 80Psi? depending on trailer load? To me I thought 50psi, might be better for tire wear, not towing anything?

80 only if that's a load range E tire.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The higher pressure is Factory Prep/Ship pressure. It is completely standard, and everybody who is riding on that after a purchase needs to walk back in to the dealer and smack somebody.

Ford has ALWAYS shipped them with higher pressure. Something about decreasing movement when loaded on the car hauler.

Regardless of the reason, it is the dealers responsibility to lower the pressure. It should be the FIRST thing they do once they get them off the hauler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Plati

Reaction score
80 only if that's a load range E tire.

The Wrangler DURA TRAC quoted is an E rated tire.
(LT in the model name)

LT275/65R18
123/120Q E BSW 32.1" 11" 7.5-9" 8" 18/32" E - 10 ply 3415 lbs 80 psi 99 mph 50 lbs Black 648

I'm not a tire expert but I did my homework for my 2 sets of E rated Light Truck tires. The 35 psi recommendation is for Passenger tires. LT tires "need / can use" higher pressure. There are tables to guide you in choosing what pressure to use, or you can do the chalk test, or various other methods. You don't want to go up to 80 psi unless carrying a heavy load of weight in the vehicle. I think that's most of the idea with LT tires, you can carry a much heavier weight -- the tire can handle that - but you need to crank the psi up to compensate for the weight -- the tire can handle that. Under normal weight you still want higher than 35 psi. I run about 46 psi in my Falken Wildpeak and Kumho Road Venture LT tires. That results in an appropriate tire shape and "footprint" on the road with good tire wear and gas mileage.

Do I have this right? I'm not always right, I know that and I'm always trying to learn.

MrLoki … if its an E rated LT tire do you still think 35 psi is correct?

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
An E rated tire is overkill on an Expedition in my opinion. All it does it make it ride rough from the stiff tire sidewall. E rated tires belong on 3/4 tons with high payload capability. An E is a great safety margin on an Expedition if thats what you are after, but it is kinda overkill. I guess I use my Expedition as a people mover and want comfortable ride and I use my 3/4 ton for the work......

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I keep mine at 36psi. 39psi is over-inflated IMO for better fuel economy (in order to reach advertised EPA figures), and higher loads. I mostly haul my 4 little kids in the truck. 36psi is just right with the 22" wheels.

Also mind you, these trucks are made in Kentucky. If they get shipped down to Miami, where temperatures are 20-30 degrees higher, you're going to see your tire pressure go up. Rule of thumb is, for every 10 degrees in ambient temperature increase, tire pressure goes up 1psi.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just be careful, too low and you could pinch a skinny sidewall on a 22. Thats my only fear of low pressure on our potholes! I'm sure it does ride better tho!

Plati

Reaction score
An E rated tire is overkill on an Expedition in my opinion. All it does it make it ride rough from the stiff tire sidewall. E rated tires belong on 3/4 tons with high payload capability. An E is a great safety margin on an Expedition if thats what you are after, but it is kinda overkill. I guess I use my Expedition as a people mover and want comfortable ride and I use my 3/4 ton for the work......
yeah. a lot of folks say that. I've run multiple sets of e rated and passenger tires on multiple expys and I don't experience much difference in ride - if any (sound or comfort). but, i'm kind of dense and might not be able to differentiate. Possibly a little louder, a soothing sound!

I run e rated light truck tires for 2 reasons
1) a national park ranger advised me to do that for driving rough rock filled roads in the back country forest service lands. sidewall is tougher and less likely to cut
2) LT tires (at least the ones I buy) have deeper tread depth than passenger tires. I use snow rated tires and I want the deepest tread depth I can get for snow condition in the mountains and ski resort travel.

The Falken Wildpeak LT rated tires have 18/32" tread depth which is 3/32" deeper than the passenger version. That is the deepest tread depth I can find for a tire that performs well under all the driving conditions I plan for. I even retire those tires for winter use and buy new ones when the tread wears down (12/32"), using the worn down tires in the summer until spent (5/32").

Overkill I guess, but I like overkill!!

Again, after doing my homework, I determined that I need to inflate those LT tires higher than the recommended 35 psi for passenger tires

Last edited: