Tire Pressure Sensor Lifespan?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sir William

Reaction score
Hey all. I have a 2007 Navigator and am about to put new tires on. I'm willing to bet it's got the original TPMS sensors. Should I be proactive and replace them at 10 years old, or just wait them out and replace as they start to fail?

The truck has 147k miles on it BTW if that matters. If I should replace them, are there any ones to look for and/or any to avoid? I'm assuming OEM are significantly higher-priced than any aftermarket. Amazon has Dorman and VDO at fairly decent prices.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
The older sensors they claim 5-7 years. The newer they claim 10 years. I did all new sensors on my 07 expedition when I put tires on last year because I knew if I left them one would die shortly after

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just had all mine replaced a few months ago. I had one die and one where the band gave out. 10 years old when mine failed for a reference, all new now.

OP
OP
Sir William

Sir William

Reaction score
We've only had the truck since June, so there's a chance they were replaced before this. That makes me hesitant to order new ones without knowing. Oh decisions, decisions. :D

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just had all mine replaced a few months ago. I had one die and one where the band gave out. 10 years old when mine failed for a reference, all new now.

Did its death trigger an alert?

Or was it from its silence despite a significant pressure drop / flat that you identified the issue??

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Did its death trigger an alert?

Or was it from its silence despite a significant pressure drop / flat that you identified the issue??

They will show you a "tire pressure sensor fault" in the information display.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They will show you a "tire pressure sensor fault" in the information display.

In that case imho NEVER replace em unless they fault out... why bother, with a non-essential warning system component that actually informs you when it does die???

OP
OP
Sir William

Sir William

Reaction score
So the other part of the question then, OEM or any particular aftermarket sensor good enough? I can't imagine that we'd be restricted to OEM since most every vehicle out there now has TPMS. But I don't want to get stuck with crap either. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carloss0712