To get Extended warranty or Not to get it ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atmasters

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I am getting close to my bumper to bumper warranty ending. I have gone in and asked about getting extended and for 100 thousand KM its about $5000.00 I have the Max Limited so comes with all the bells and whistles. What is the most common thing that goes wrong with the Expeditions? And is it worth saving my $ ? I would say we are going to put on 20 thousand KM a year on it. But we do keep up on all maintenance.

BIGRED03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That seems a little pricey but not unheard of. You must really plan to keep this until the wheels fall off or it may be bad investment. I do know it is cheaper if you do it up front with lower current mileage. Why it matters even if the B to B warranty is still active I can't figure out. I recently bought a new Expedition and really did my homework on this extended warranty plans. My dealer first tried a aftermarket on me until I said that I don't trust them to be in business 3 years from now when I need them. Then he offered me a Ford ESP and quoted me a price. I really was not quite finished with the deal because it was between two vehicles at separate dealers. One thing I learned was the price was different for some reason when I went online to get a price on a ESP directly from Ford and the dealer's price. I ended up buying the Premium Care 7/100 $50 deductible online with Ford website. Ford has a 18 month payment plan with no interest when billed to an account automatically monthly. My payment is less than $90.00 a month. Yes with this plan I have to take it to a Ford dealer, no problem for me, instead of any repair shop. I believe there is a good chance Ford will be around in three years, not sure about a warranty service contract which in some states is not insurance so no regulations as to viability. I hope this helps. Consumer Reports or one of those types said that an ESP for a car is the only extended warranty they would buy for any product.

OP
OP
A

atmasters

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hey thanks for the info will be looking into this. Are you in Canada or the States

BIGRED03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi, just realized you are in Canada. It looks like Canadian coverage is broader than U.S. as it covers wear items if I am reading that right. Where about in Canada do you live. I'm in Florida. I am assuming the Max is our EL?

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got an extended warranty for my '11 EL when I bought it this past March with 15,000 Miles on it. It's worth it. If you have any problems at all with components known to go bad, you can use it to get them replaced so you don't have to worry about them later. I'm talking about things like differentials, drivetrain components and who knows what's going to happen with all the electronics in these things.

BIGRED03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Which warranty provider did you go with? Time/mileage?

andrew_s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have had aftermarket warranties that covered everything and I have had those that covered nothing. The good one was sold at a Mom and Pop shop and the worthless waste of money was through a HUGE dealership chain. Go figure.

BIGRED03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Andrew_s what year is your Expy? Was the warranty you bought a factory backed type or third party?

Nearly nine years ago I bought a Jeep Liberty Diesel and loved the vehicle. It had a 2.8l diesel with 4X4 that would pull anything anywhere. It has more torque than my Hemi Charger from the factory. I own a Grand Cherokee diesel now with a VW diesel. Anyway it was a Lemon from day one it had an electrical problem they could not fix even after rewiring it twice. After about twenty thousand miles and a dozen tows Jeep repurchased it in full.
The point of this is that the Jeep sat at the dealer waiting for parts for months all along while my extended warranty paid for a rental car for over 90 days. Without the Chrysler extended warranty I would have to had pay for it myself or done without.

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
paid 2,100 bucks for the 7/125K mile PremiumCARE. Might want to see what's up with that.

EDIT I purchased this when I got the truck, not from the selling dealer but from our fleet dealer in FL. 2013 Expedition 4x4.

Last edited:

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Which warranty provider did you go with? Time/mileage?

I went with the Ford Warranty - 72 month/72K mile, disappearing $100 deductible meaning the first time I go to the dealership I always go to I pay $100 one time only.