Torque converter replacement.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fanatic1074

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm about to swap out my torque converter on my 03 5.4 4x4 4r70w and was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a good walk through. I just don't want to be taking apart more than is needed. I would really appreciate the help. Thanks!

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why not get the oem service manual? That way you have the correct info that keeps the surprises to a minimum.

OP
OP
Fanatic1074

Fanatic1074

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In my experience the service manuals have you doing too much. I do have the manual. Just figured someone might have some shortcuts. Thanks anyway.

OP
OP
Fanatic1074

Fanatic1074

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay, just changed out the torque converter and it was way easier than I thought it was going to be. You do not have to take the motor apart at all you can get to the top bellhousing bolts with a series of extensions and a swivel. Then I was able to disconnect both drive shafts and the transmission crossmember support and then move the transmission and transfer case back enough to pull out the converter then put the new one in and slid everything back into place.

LEOL

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thank you for the update, I may be throwing a TC in for giggles in mine soon, its good to know info. course, im ****, and i dont like doing things twice, so if im gonna spend couple hundred on a torque converter... ill probably just pull it all the way out and spend another couple hundred on a trans rebuild kit and just do it. lol

in any case, post follow ups are always encouraged and appreciated, so thanks!