Towing lights not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tepponogu

Reaction score
I found a broken grounding strap under the rear bumper, fixed that. Then I found a 2 amp fuse in the fuse box, replaced that with a 20A. Still nothing. Any thoughts on where to go from here?

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you sure its the harness and not the trailer... The way I'm use to it is the trailer light wires are always messed up. I've had corrosion inside the plug in before. I would use a test light and ground it to the truck and test the plug ins themselves. If you replaced the fuse, I would say it has something to do with the harness.

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are 3 different circuits going to the trailer. Park, r turn, l turn. If none of them work, I would bet its a grounding issue. There is only one ground wire and they all use it.

OP
OP
T

tepponogu

Reaction score
Are you sure its the harness and not the trailer... The way I'm use to it is the trailer light wires are always messed up. I've had corrosion inside the plug in before. I would use a test light and ground it to the truck and test the plug ins themselves. If you replaced the fuse, I would say it has something to do with the harness.

I'll double check. The trailer was working last we used it with my buddy's truck.

OP
OP
T

tepponogu

Reaction score
There are 3 different circuits going to the trailer. Park, r turn, l turn. If none of them work, I would bet its a grounding issue. There is only one ground wire and they all use it.

This is the ground back by the harness under the rear part of the frame, right? Mine was a white wire. Nothing works, no brake, turning or reverse.

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea white is typically the ground however some people do strange things. This is the basic layout -

trailer-wiring-4-wire.jpg

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would say it is probably your ground then, and the white is usually the ground wire. Make sure that the ground is actually grounding, sometimes they can be finicky, or the wire could possibly be old and broken inside.

This site has a good diagram of the wiring.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

OP
OP
T

tepponogu

Reaction score
Still having this issue.

I fixed the ground and then found that the fuse was missing (#1 slot under the hood) and put one in. I now have running lights, when the headlights are on, but no turn signals or brake lights.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. TIA.

OP
OP
T

tepponogu

Reaction score
Finally figured it out. There are two different fuses for the trailer lights. Running lights are in the main rise box under the hood. The other light functions run off a different fuse in a small fuse box right next to the main fuse box. Its supposed to be a 20 amp fuse, someone put a 2 amp in there. Replaced the fuse and viola!