TPMS Sensors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone order any TPMS sensors for the Gen 4?

I have been having a hard time finding them when I put in 22 Timberline some Ford sites list none and other Ford sites lists dozens of them.
Is there a part # anyone know of or is there generic models. Not sure the Ford Mhz.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
315 MHz, check rockauto, usually have good deals. 2018-2022 use the same sensors.

Infra246

Reaction score
I don't believe you are right. The older 2018-2021 uses what ford calls tpms42 and the new 2022s use tpms60. I was able to find a company called max sensors, their gen 3 programmable were half the cost and came with aluminum stems. They are purple in colour. The truck automatically detected them as expected after a few minutes of driving.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't believe you are right. The older 2018-2021 uses what ford calls tpms42 and the new 2022s use tpms60. I was able to find a company called max sensors, their gen 3 programmable were half the cost and came with aluminum stems. They are purple in colour. The truck automatically detected them as expected after a few minutes of driving.

Part of the testing for my wheel balance issue used two sets of tires and wheels from an 2019 and 2020 expedition, both sets the 2022 picked up and reported the tire pressure. They simply swapped the wheels with tires mounted so I could drive on a different set and see if it helped the vibration issue.

Infra246

Reaction score
How long did you drive on them? The truck will show the tire pressure of the old tires for quite a while especially if they are nearby when you start the vehicle. I never bothered trying my 2019 sensors because when I went to the parts counter I was told the parts are different as I described above.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How long did you drive on them? The truck will show the tire pressure of the old tires for quite a while especially if they are nearby when you start the vehicle. I never bothered trying my 2019 sensors because when I went to the parts counter I was told the parts are different as I described above.
It showed the replacement wheel pressure. My original tires were aired to 42psi on all 4 (after driving) and what the screen showed.
When they swapped the wheels, it updated all 4 tires to different new values (one was 36, two were 38, and one was 37), but only after I was already 2-3 miles down the road. When they swapped back to my original tires, the readings updated back to 41 PSI on all 4, again 2 or so miles away. While driving those 2 miles each wheel had a "-" as if it didn't know the value.
All this was automatic, no re-programming, the truck just picked up the various readings. Tech saw it too, he said he didn't realize they would auto update, as he never tried it that way. But he said makes sense, these aren't encrypted or sending a tone signal, they operate on the same frequency, so TPMS sends a reading per tire, truck listens on that frequency in proximity to the wheel.
Other systems operate differently (especially centrally monitoring ones, where it is not proximity), those have tone or sub frequency so the truck has to "re-learn" where that tire is located, as it can't tell which position it is in.

OP
OP
LazSlate

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Looking at their vehicle fitment chart it shows the same part # for 2018-2022 with a OEM # of HC3Z1A189A

Maybe the TPMS60 is the same sensors but uses proximity sensors to detect thus the difference between tpms42

OP
OP
LazSlate

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Where did you buy the max sensors. Did they seller do some pre programming to them before shipping to match Ford since they are universal?

29twonine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just put my winter set on from Tirerack last week. I bought the TPMS tool, but didn’t end up needing it. Drove down the road and the new tires registered an about 5 minutes. No issues whatsoever. I think you can buy just the sensors from Tirerack if needed.

OP
OP
LazSlate

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think the big question is did Ford change the sensors on 2022 to tpms60?