Traction control light, wrench icon, nasty upshift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Driving earlier and my truck had a nasty upshift (felt like transmission slammed). Right before this the traction control light randomly started blinking even though roads are dry and clear. Then a wrench icon came up and the truck would not shift out of 3rd gear no matter what I did. After a few miles I pulled over and shut it off and all is back to normal. Sound like a wheel speed sensor maybe? Pretty scary thought I lost the transmission.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Driving earlier and my truck had a nasty upshift (felt like transmission slammed). Right before this the traction control light randomly started blinking even though roads are dry and clear. Then a wrench icon came up and the truck would not shift out of 3rd gear no matter what I did. After a few miles I pulled over and shut it off and all is back to normal. Sound like a wheel speed sensor maybe? Pretty scary thought I lost the transmission.
Check with your OBDII scanner first.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Scanner came up with nothing
Do you have those 2 big red shop manuals for that year? ...............ebay

It went into limp mode, 3rd gear is the only one it uses. When you stopped and started limp mode reset itself. Hopefully it was just a glitch of some sort.

Last edited:

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have a cheaper scanner it won't show anything.

And you're going to want to check transmission codes, too ;)

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah limp home mode only uses 3rd good to know. Every time my dads 08 E-350 van lost TC sensors it would alarm and not shift out of 2nd. Maybe similar situation. On my last Expedition I had some funky transmission shifts due to a bad wheel bearing, but that time eventually the ABS and TC lights illuminated. So far I’ve only gotten the blinking TC light out of nowhere then the green wrench icon that reset with a power down.

Last edited:

John Kohler

Reaction score
When I had an intermittent wrench light the scanner would only show the code while the light was on. It appears the codes from the wrench light are not stored. It took me a month to finally catch the light on and scan the code - pedal position sensor.

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I occasionally get the blinking light myself. Last time it came on I had a scanner handy so I pulled over and plugged it in and took off again and managed to get misfires on cylinders 1 and 8.

Figured it's probably needing some coil packs...ughh. Just did replace them on my exploder.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have a ton of computer related codes.... Blue Driver pulled a lot.

F6B19E33-83D1-42B5-AEA2-8EE92228B882.jpeg

Last edited: