trailering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

comp

Reaction score
2010 expedition 4 x 4 stock set up 17 " wheels

this past week end I pulled a boat approx 1300 miles
the boat weighs 3200 lb plus the trailer ( dual axle shorelander with brakes )

stopping no problem

the biggest issue is the truck is all over the road, a lot of tire flex and body shimmies lf to rt rear.

when a tractor trailer goes by, it sucks me in.
a lot of slight counter steering on the high way

sweet spot around 68 to 72 mph
thoughts or suggestions ?

sngltrck1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Weight distribution hitch with equalizer bars makes a HUGE difference.

I pull an 18 ft. Fleetwood travel trailer and noticed a big improvement
in handling and wind / semi-truck suction problems after adding them.

pdqcarrera

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on the weight distribution hitch with equalizer (aka torsion) bars.

I wouldn't trailer our race cars without it.

CWOLAW

Reaction score
You haven't mentioned what your tongue weight is! Too much or too little can cause significant adverse trailer handling at certain speeds and my experience has been that most boat dealers don't measure it nor adjust the axles for your particular load. Also, adding fuel, fresh water to inboard tanks, coast guard gear, other boating gear thrown into the boat, and then your cooler with your favorite beverage iced down, is not factored in, even if they did bother to computer your tongue weight. Also, I'm guess you currently have "surge brakes" on your tandum axle trailer? Some weight distribution hitches will not work on trailers with surge brakes, so be careful on your selection.

Also, you didn't mention if the rear end of your truck "squatted" any when the trailer was hooked up to it, so it's likely your tongue weight is actually "too light", which would account for some of the reported handling issues you described.

For as light of a load you are hauling, I would ensure the tongue weight is set (move the boat forward or back on the trailer) correctly, the determing the need for additional types of hitches, if needed.

cdherman

Reaction score
I agree with last post. Unless the tongue weight is messed up, you should not need a load dist hitch.

I pull a 2 horse trail, 3500lbs dry with a 1200 lb horse and its dead solid at 4700 lbs. This is with a 2004, but they have only gotten better over the years.

Another poss: What is your tire pressure? When you tow, it matters. You should make sure they are fully inflated to max allowed. This may help with the "squirming" right to left that you are experiencing....

OP
OP
C

comp

Reaction score
thanks for all of the advise. I just changed my tires and wheels for starters.
I went to an 18 " wheel and a stiffer side wall tire ( load range C )

I think the truck does squat a little when hooked up.

I will check the tongue weight and also see how much the truck squats the next time I hook up.

Reaction score
thanks for all of the advise. I just changed my tires and wheels for starters.
I went to an 18 " wheel and a stiffer side wall tire ( load range C )

I think the truck does squat a little when hooked up.

I will check the tongue weight and also see how much the truck squats the next time I hook up.
If the Expedition squats you definitely need weight distribution.

If you get the "tail wagging the dog" feeling, you are experiencing trailer sway. A common problem when towing a trailer. Trailer sway is caused by a number of factors including not enough tongue weight relative to the overall weight of the load being towed. Boats tend to be heavy in the rear due to the engine, fuel tank, etc. Another factor that will cause sway are length of tow vehicle wheel base when compared to the length of the trailer, tow vehicle suspension, tow vehicle tire pressure and tire composition, etc.

The Expedition is not the most ideal tow vehicle because it has a softer suspension than a typical pick up truck. The tires tend to be softer riding too. Now with that said, there are measure you can take to address trailer sway and keep your towing experience relatively stress free.

Sway control can cost you as little as $200 and as much as $3,000 depending on your risk tolerance. Two friction based sway control devices are at the low end of the price spectrum. They dampen sway but do not eliminate it. A sway elimination hitch like the Pro Pride or Hensley Arrow use a completely different set of mechanics and are engineered to eliminate sway.

On a side note, do not take trailer sway lightly. I've been towing campers since 2003 and, sadly, have seen a few trailers flip because of sway. It is not a pretty site and can be downright deadly.

Ridaz

Reaction score
Weight distribution seems to be the main point and I agree with it. I pull a boat similar size to yours and experience minimal problems even as semis pass. I also pull cargo trailers on my work truck and weight distribution is a must with the company. It still isn't perfect as there are 2 massive rigs passing by one another and wind power can be a force but it certainly minimizes it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiev