Train horn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Sounds like a good way to get your vehicles keyed or tire slashed. It's obnoxious to. I have worked for the railroad and lived by a crossing. I can vouch that the public hates these horns. The FRA limits there use to 15-20 sec. Two longs, a short and a long. The last long must be as you cross the road. Certain areas the residents, were able to petition the town for quiet zones. There is areas with no horns on crossings. Driver training specifically mentions considerate use of the normal horn.

Last edited:

Tocapet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My horns are mounted behind the grille pointing downwards. My solenoid valve quit working last week, so I'll have to replace it before I can give a demo. Mine sounds a much lower tone than the train horns.

craig sargood

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I get your argument, it is quite loud, but I don’t mind who like it or me or both, I like my vehicle to still be there in the morning with all property still inside. And people are dumb at driving especially here in Southern California, so they need a little toot every now and again to scare the poop out of them and remind them there’s other people on the road and that they’re operating a motor vehicle.............toot tooooooot!!!!!!

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How is a train horn even legal? Law in my state says “car horn must be audible for at least 200 feet but no unreasonable loud or harsh sound”. I really don’t see the point in this and, quite frankly, should I find myself on the offending end of a f*cking train horn I’d consider that tantamount to somewhere between fighting words and assault.

Tocapet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IMG_1292[1].JPG There is a time and place for everything. I admit, train horns have no place on vehicles. But some horns do. Like the ones on 18-wheelers. There needs to be a difference between a standard car horn and a truck horn, so that when you hear it, you know what's coming and can take the appropriate action. The reason I have truck horns on my Expedition is not to play or scare people. It's when I tow my big trailer, I need more stopping room, so I am able to warn other drivers when necessary. I have run air horns (not train horns) on my vehicles for more than 30 years and have never made anyone mad or aroused the attention of the police. And yes, I have sounded them many times. The picture shows my current installation. The grille is removed while I was replacing the solenoid.

Last edited:

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How is a train horn even legal? Law in my state says “car horn must be audible for at least 200 feet but no unreasonable loud or harsh sound”. I really don’t see the point in this and, quite frankly, should I find myself on the offending end of a f*cking train horn I’d consider that tantamount to somewhere between fighting words and assault.

You are correct that they aren't legal for road use (other than a railroad). DOT, and police would likely issue a ticket if they witnessed it or in today's age of everything being recorded, the recipient of the "toot toot" could easily pursue legal charges if they so desired. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

Now the alarm application sounds like fun unless you are the neighbor next door who gets to listen to it if it goes off by accident.

Smoothur

Reaction score
So, about that train horn on your Expy – it's a wild idea, but man, it could add some serious character! I've seen a few folks go for it, and it's always a head-turner.
I haven't taken the plunge myself, but from what I've heard, it's all about finding the right fit for your ride. You want something loud enough to make a statement but not too over-the-top, you know?
I did some digging, and https://bosshorn.com seems to have some solid options.
Just remember, with great horn power comes great responsibility – gotta keep it street-legal and all that jazz.

Last edited: