Tranny Service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WrenchinBrit

Reaction score
Morning all.
SO far the expy is good. I noticed though looking through the service history that no service has been done on the trans. I know that it is 'sealed for life' but at 237k im hoping to get a bit more.
its the 6R80
Q. Is it worth just changing the filter and pan oil and see how it is or should i go and flush and replace all the fluid with the filter change?

Currently it does NOT slip, Tranny seems to be functioning fine

Thanks in advance

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it were me I would probably drop the Pan change the filter and replace with OEM fluid. That way you leave some of the original fluid in the converter. Another approach might be looseen one of the ATF coolant lines at the radiator and only drain out a couple quarts... and repeat every 5 or 10000 miles 2 qt at a time.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Depending on the year, the transmission should have a thermostatic valve that prevents circulation of the fluid through the cooler when cold. This makes "flushing" virtually impossible.

As was suggested, drop the pan, change the filter and replace the five quarts of the proper OEM fluid.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Drain, fill and change filter. I wouldn't flush at 237k. That ended catastrophically for my wife's Mazda.

OP
OP
WrenchinBrit

WrenchinBrit

Reaction score
Thanks guys .. I pulled the pan off today whilst still waiting for the new filter to arrive .. I was pretty amazed
It’s dark but still had a tinge of red whilst draining .. the magnet had hardly anything on it ..
until this point I was going to do just the filter and pan oil ..
any more thoughts

Attachments

• 865F0B6A-9FF8-4A08-AB63-7FFAC6151E1C.jpeg
    865F0B6A-9FF8-4A08-AB63-7FFAC6151E1C.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 41
  • CD294F78-0E11-4E93-A05B-CA0A626FDC1A.jpeg
    CD294F78-0E11-4E93-A05B-CA0A626FDC1A.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
WrenchinBrit

WrenchinBrit

Reaction score
I’m with Rcode at the moment
I added a drain plug so might give it 1k and dump the oil and re-fill then do a filter and pan change again after another 1k
What is the OEM fluid BTW?

OP
OP
WrenchinBrit

WrenchinBrit

Reaction score
SO the filter arrived and i reassembled the pan with the bolts on at the back with it tipped forward to allow me some room to pump some fluid in, i got about 2 qts in and did everything up and pumped more into the fill opening.
I Had drained about 5 quarts out but ended up putting in about 7 so it was low .. Its a real pain to check but after 5 or 6 attempts id figured out how to hold it and get it out quick to check it.
I was a little concerned about the drain plug so i replaced the rubber o ring seal for a gasket material one and lock wired the nut too.
drain plug mod.jpg

Orlando Gotay

Reaction score
Glad this thread is open. My Expy is coming up on 150,000 miles. It has no shifting issues, but I'm preoccupied that service was never done on the transmission.

A local tech told me that a "straight" fluid replacement can sometimes be harmful (at this stage), considering the earlier maintenance was never done (particles coming loose and causing problems). He suggested draining the fluid, replacing the filter, adding an additive to the drained fluid (forgive the redundancy) and topping off with fresh fluid.

Do you all have any thoughts on this?