Transfer case Stuck HELP?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fireman643

Reaction score
Hello Follks Im new to the Expy Club but I am A long time FORD man !
My 2006 EB auto trans seems to have the transfer case stuck in 4x4, I have the selectable 2H A4H 4H 4L version but it seems the front anxle is live all the time and it make steering alittle tight. At first I thought it was a Balljoint vs tie rod issue but i took it to a local tire place and my friends checked it " no problems with the front end" So they took it for a drive and found the same thing I did it steers like it in 4x4 w/o the wheels locked. So i went down the Next path and checked/ replaced the Transfer case moter ( $99) no problem to change . Still same lope when I turn.
I havent been able to put it up where I can see the front axle turn like we did at the tire shop but it still drives the same.

So the questions are
1 Would the " brown wire fix" work for me?
( isnt that what the selector switch does)

2 Any way the transfer case could be stuck?
( it changes from 4 h to 4l and the hubs lock in and out)

3 why are there Chvy and toyota comercials on this page ?
Do they really think the can convert us? (hehe)

trdragons44

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is your center disconnect working? It's a vacuum operated solenoid which separates the front wheels from each other when in 4x2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

fireman643

Reaction score
I do not know , Where is it and How can I test it? ( besides putting vacum on it directly what do I look for)? Thanks

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
I think that the 06 has IWEs (integrated wheel ends) that are like vacuum operated locking hubs, instead of a center axle disconnect. If they stick, it will feel like it's stuck in four wheel drive.

OP
OP
F

fireman643

Reaction score
Nope the hubs are free ( they lock in and out with the switch 4H 4L) the front axle stays live even in 2 L. Thats got me thinking the Auto 4 wd is stuck any ideas on for to " unstick It"?

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nope the hubs are free ( they lock in and out with the switch 4H 4L) the front axle stays live even in 2 L. Thats got me thinking the Auto 4 wd is stuck any ideas on for to " unstick It"?

Dude.. I think this is how it works... While Expy are on jack stands.

In 2H - the front halfshafts WILL spin with power. However, the hubs are disengaged so the front wheels do not spin. Hubs will not engage regardless of situation.

In 4H/4L - simple.. Everything spins.

In 4AWD - they are suppose to engage when the speed sensors on each of the rotors (front and rear) report different speeds.

One thing to check is if your hubs have a vacuum leak. Maybe the vacuum in 4AWD is not as strong as 2H mode, and if the auto locking hubs have a leak, then they will prematurely engage when they are not supposed to... Thus rattling as if they are not fully engaging.

Just my opinion.. I maybe worng :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fireman643

Reaction score
Hey Mindgame , thanks I mean if the front axle is suposed to be live all the time I guess i will get used to it but it just seems that in 2H the axle shouldnt turn, What is the use in having the transfer case if it doesnt unlock the front axle?
Like I said its not the front hubs they go in with 4H and 4L and stay out with a4H and 2H the trasfer case goes in and out of 4L to 4 H but it seems not to disengage the front axle when in 2 H ?

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
>>I mean if the front axle is suposed to be live all the time I guess i will get used to it but it just seems that in 2H the axle shouldnt turn...

I agree... But it is live all the time..

>>What is the use in having the transfer case if it doesnt unlock the front axle?

I think the transfer case is just to sync the gearing between L and H speeds. The IEW determines if and when the hubs need to lock while moving.

>>but it seems not to disengage the front axle when in 2 H.
Logically in our mind it is suppose to disengage. But it doesn't. It is always engaged. The actuator hubs will control if the front tires bite the ground or not.

Yes.. You are not alone.. Took me a while to de-program the normal way of doing things into the Expy way of handling 2H, 4AWD, 4H, and 4L.

In a nut shell..
Power is deliver to front half-shafts all the time.

The only thing the transfer case is responsible for is to insure the correct speed H vs. L.

The IEW is disabled (full vacuum, hub unlocked) in 2H, all the time.. Yes.. The damn shaft is still spinning..

IEW engaged full time (no vacuum, hub engaged) 4H, 4L.

IEW on standby with half-shafts spinning at correct speed at 4AWD.

I think the half-shafts are engaged all the time is so that when switching between 2H, 4AWD, and 4H while moving, there is no wait or need to make sure the transfer case is running at the coreect speed before the hubs are engaged.

dunno... I maybe wrong, but in my mind this all makes sense this way...

Last edited:

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
>>but it seems not to disengage the front axle when in 2 H.

After re-reading this.... Are you saying that even in 2H, all 4 wheels spin? or
half-shafts are spinning, but front tires are not spinning because hub are disengaged...

OP
OP
F

fireman643

Reaction score
Mindgame THANKS Yes and NO,
ok The front shafts/spin all the time , but the hubs are only in when in 4 H or 4 L and I asume they wil lock in as needed in A4H ( havnt done any testing ) I read in one forum that the front end is electrically controlled (ie the brown wire) and something about an electric clutch in the transfer case? So I thought the front drive sould not be turning ? BUt as you explained is does all the time and I am geting used to the way it drives , ( big differance that the 2000 ranger) it had 4x4 electric shift etc but the front was only live in 4H and 4L no A4H etc.
Again thanks for the nput.