Transmission Cooler upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joeysjohnston

Reaction score
I have a 04 Eddie Bauer Expedition that has the standard size Transmission Cooler. I'm in the process of buying a travel trailer and I want to upgrade the tranny cooler to a larger one so I don't kill my transmission. Ford has a Heavy Duty cooler but my dealer wasn't sure if I can upgrade to it.

Has any one upgraded their tranny cooler? Either with the heavy duty one from Ford or with an after market one?

Thanks in advance,
Joey

AbelNavyvet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
YES... Oregon Performance Trans have them and its rather large Check them out on line Email Brian he is a good guy.
the part number for the cooler your looking for is #LNG-4590

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Joey I would suggest that you get a OBDII Bluetooth device and the Torque Pro app. Cost should be less than $25.00 That way you would be able to monitor your Trans Temp, Coolant Temp, and other functions.

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't added a cooler to my Navi but have to other vehicles. I suggest to keep whatever cooling provisions are there and add to them not replace them.

Both Abel and Darrin both presented good options. Go for I believe they are called stacked plate design over the old school tube and fin. They new style is more efficient.

DarrinBC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stacked plate is the way to go. On my truck I removed the small stock cooler and installed a 40K cooler to replace it. Couldn't be happier.

The coolers come with some basic mounting hardware, but I went to Menards and bought some inch wide flat aluminum stock and made my own brackets. I also don't like hose clamps and you have to use rubber hose to adapt to the cooler. So I bought some 1/2 pex crimp rings and a cheap crimper. I used 2 of the crimp rings on each end of each hose. I put the supplied hose bard adapters into the rubber hose and crimped those and installed them onto the cooler. Then, with the cooler in place, I slid the other end of the hose over the factory tubing and crimped it there.

A few years down the road and awesome results. I tow an almost 7k lb camper and this keeps the transmission cooler than the stock setup did without the camper attached.

D

Last edited:

AbelNavyvet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah I did to and Mine looks super huge behind the grill. you can see it pop! I am very satisfied, I really wanted a huge oil pan however I the mechanic stated that he could not find a oil filter for it.
Does any one know what kind of oil filter you use with a deep oil pan or a the part number??????

DarrinBC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The same site I linked to above has pans as well. Also a nifty braided cooler line setup.

You don't need a special filter for a quality deep pan. They are made with standoffs that hold the factory filter in place. Don't know why he said that.

D

Last edited:

AbelNavyvet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah the transmission shop manager stated that the OEM filter will not fit on a aftermarket DEEP transmission OIL PAN. he said that he THINKS (not knows he THINKS) that he needs to use a 4wd oil pan filter. Don't know need to call the manufacturer to see what the part number of the filter would be.