Transmission Issue - I Think

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pacpark4

Reaction score
My 2000 Expy XLT, 5.4 4x4 with 3.55 gear ratio, is driving me nuts. While accelerating, going up hills at freeway speeds, or under heavy loads, I hear and feel noises that seem to come from underneath my vehicle basically underneath my feet. This is especially noticeable when my Expy shifts from 4th to 3rd gear under hard acceleration and with the air conditioning on. It feels a little jerky, but I never seem to lose speed, and once it kicks back into 4th gear, and not pulling a hill, the "boiling" jerky noise goes away.

Any suggestions? I don't have any check engine light codes or anything.

XLTman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should try a transmission flush it worked wonders for mine.

4x4Dude

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I picked up some sea foam for tranny's tonight. I didnt know they made one specifically for trannys. I know that people on here swear by the engine treatment, so i figured what the hell. Couldnt hurt for you to try the same thing

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
see if your exhaust bracket rubbers are worn or you have any of the exhaust touching the frame or body. My exhaust vibrates really bad at 2000 rpms and moderate throttle and i had a bad exhaust hanger and it sounded like someone was showering the floorboards with rocks.....

Matt R

wrangler45337

Reaction score
Just be careful with some transmission flushes. I have heard of shops not changing out the fluid after a flush, and then they flush yours with old fluid. Can't say it is fact, but only what I have heard.

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
By awd you mean A4WD? I had that problem but only during slow speeds. I talked to a good ford mechanic that works for the Metropolitan here and he said that theres a small problem with the programming in the torque on demand module. Something about the limit between the speeds of the two drive shafts being to little. He also said in the update ford has it also hasn't had necessarily a good affect.

Instead I cut the A4WD out so I could run in solely 2WD as I didn't have that option on the selector for some stupid reason.

On the transfer case theres an electrical connector with a brown wire that strays from the rest of the wires, cut that to kill the magnetic clutch.

4x4Dude

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Avro...are you able to cut the wire and maybe run a switch to the inside of the truck to flip it back and forth from A4WD to 2WD? I would love to be able to do this as it would save a little bit on fuel and wear and tear