Transmission problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fanatic1074

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys im about to to do a motor rebuild because of low compression at the rings. The transmission on this truck has been doing some kind of rubbing/grinding sound when shifting from OD to a lower gear, like when im on the interstate and it needs a bit more power to go up a hill or pass someone.

However it only seems to do this at higher speeds. Could this be related to the engine having low compression? Or is this positively a Tranny issue?

If i need to fix the transmission, i want to do it while we have it out of the truck.

Thanks!

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Best thing to do would be to pull the pan and see what it looks like on the inside. If it isn't immaculate, I would rebuild that as well.

OP
OP
Fanatic1074

Fanatic1074

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OP
OP
Fanatic1074

Fanatic1074

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can any transmission experts at please comment on this. I have heard that simply draining the fluid and putting synthetic will fix it.

Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How many miles are on the tranny?

If you rebuild or swap the engine change over to an external trans cooler or replace the radiator with a new one. Very few shops will tell you about changing the radiator after a trans rebuild. Had the internal trans cooler let go on a rebuild in the past, $1200 down the drain because of keeping the old radiator.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fanatic1074

Fanatic1074

Full Access Members
Reaction score
145k on the truck. Original trans.

So what happened to the trans cooler ? Plug up?

I can use my mityvac and run some fluid through it to check flow before I put the radiator back in

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't know the exact location of the leak but I had coolant and trans fluid mix. The only place that can happen is inside the radiator. Indication of trouble was the large white smoke billowing out from behind. Once I stopped it was pouring out of the transmission like it was coming out of a garden hose. Luckily I carry extra fluids when I travel and was able to make it back to Georgia by slightly overfilling the trans and relieving pressure on the cooling system. Dropped the pan after I got home and most of the clutch material was in it. Lasted about a month after that. A $200 radiator is cheap insurance.

OP
OP
Fanatic1074

Fanatic1074

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Damn. Yea very good point. Ok well I guess I'm going to order a radiator.

Thanks for the input!