Transmission question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cekkk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
DW's 2013 King Ranch 4WD has 53,524 miles on it. Perfect until battery died 2 weeks ago. I put a NOKO Genuis 2 on it last week. Started it up for the first time a few minutes ago. It was very weak and obviously needs a new battery. The other was an interstate from Costco activated in 2017. I forget the month. I put the car in Reverse in the garage and it jumped. Put it into drive when I got out of the driveway and I think it's not going through all of the three gears plus Overdrive. Still jumps when putting it into reverse. Question is, could the dead battery have had anything to do with upsetting the workings of the transmission? And we live in a small town and I have to drive over an hour to get to a transmission shop..

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Battery going dead causes the drive train computer to reset, there is a process to reprogram it. Basically by driving it easy to allow transmission to reset shift points.

Plati

Reaction score
My 2014EL owners manual says this ....

tran.jpg

OP
OP
cekkk

cekkk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you for that information. But before I read it I had a new battery installed and it's running perfectly. Apparently I didn't even have to reset anything. Interestingly two mechanics, and that's what they do for a living, work on cars, didn't see any possible connection. I know absolutely nothing about cars but a little bit about computers. It was my guess there was a possibility that a new battery might not fix the problem but the old one might have caused it. Not taking any kudos for myself but just sayin.

Plati

Reaction score
The computers have what is commonly known as NVM (non volatile memory) which is cleared by a loss of DC power and letting the capacitors discharge. There is even a procedure to do this and make sure the cap's get fully discharged. It can fix some odd problems if a memory location gets hit by alpha particles and corrupted.

OP
OP
cekkk

cekkk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is our fourth expedition and the first one if I'm not mistaken that requires the car be put on a lift to check the transmission fluid. Am I wrong about that?

justinp16ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is our fourth expedition and the first one if I'm not mistaken that requires the car be put on a lift to check the transmission fluid. Am I wrong about that?
The cap that needs to be removed to access the dipstick is on the passenger side of the trans. As long as you can fit underneath the vehicle, it can be done without a lift. Just don't get burned by the cat, would be a good idea to crawl under there when the vehicle is cold to see where everything is.

OP
OP
cekkk

cekkk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, I went to YouTube when we couldn't find the dipstick. Ridiculous.

ChrisRCNY

Reaction score
Yep. I was very tempted to add a drain on the side of the pan at the "full" height, and plug a hose barb into it at fluid change, fill to overflow, repeat when hot, then put the plug back in.

I think someone did something similar with a pair of copper tunes, and a washer to set depth. Stick it in the dipstick hole, turn on feed and suction pumps, it'll fill and maintain proper level as the Trans warms up. Great for a tech doing lots of Trans work.