transmisssion is slipping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

districk81

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2000 EB that ive just acquired and its been sitting up for a couple of years and im trying to work all the bugs out of it but just as soon as I fix one thing something else breaks. so far ive done the air to coil spring swap, fixed both driver side windows they were stuck in the down position. new regulator on the front and a new motor for the back. then the intake busted the first time I drove it more than a couple miles. it busted by the coolant temp sensor right there by the crossover. so I replaced that. I went camping last weekend and ill be damned if the transmission didn't start slipping when I get up to cruising speed 55-65. its weird the way its doing see its kinda hilly out by Livingston and its like when im going up a hill every thing is all good. when I go over the top of the hill and let off the gas the engine will actually idle or rev up a few hundred rpms. my foot is off the gas pedal when it does this. so then when I put some pressure back on the accelerator the rpms will stay a few hundred higher than what they normally are, this is when it feels as if tis slipping, and a few seconds later it will catch and go back down. its not just on the down side of hills though. sometimes it does it when I let of the gas on flat roads too. I wasn't towing anything other than camping gear and kids. come to find out it does it with just me in the truck too. I really hope the clutches in my tranny are going out b/c I know how expensive that can be and what a pain they are to pull out and put in. im hoping its a sensor or something else that's easier and cheaper than rebuilding a tranny b/c lord knows I cant afford that right now ive already made sure the fluid level is perfect. its got 145k and like I said I just got it and its been sittng for about two yrs so im going to take it tomorrow and hook it up to the computer at the auto parts and see what kind of codes its throwing. the service engine light came on right when the tranny started acting up. funny it didn't bother to come on when the intake was busted and water was blowing out every where. a mechanic friend of mine said that it could actually have some thing to do with the catalytic convertor the way its reving up when I take my foot off the gas. I could really use some help. I usually do ALL my own mechanic work but transmissions is just not department. could it have some thing to do with the torque converter? man im at a loss:(

Jeff532003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could be the torque converter but its hard to pinpoint from what your describing. Honestly my gut tells me vacuum leak but yeah hard to say for sure. Definitely pull the codes. That could help us narrow down the possible issues. When it revs up and you think it's slipping what happens when you punch the gas? Does the truck take off or does the engine rev but the truck not really go anywhere?

As far as doing all your own wrenching, is this a 2 or 4wd? If it does end up being a bad transmission there's lots to be had at the salvage yards and to be honest swapping at a 2wd is not hard and a 4wd while more of a pain with the transfer case being there and all is doable as well. If it comes to that just get a good manual like Haynes and you should be able to accomplish it.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check your fluid too if you haven't. Low fluid can cause the tranny to slip. Wouldnt hurt to change the fluid too to try and see if that fixes it.

BANGEREXPO76

Full Access Members
Reaction score
+1 on the fluid check and change.
+1 on checking the cats. I had to cut mine off the Expo they were so clogged.
Made the truck run excellent!!!!

Also check/change your Trans Range sensor sometimes called neutral saftey switch on the driverside of the trans. The symptoms sound like a problem I had before on my mustang and changing that sensor out solved it. Trans shifts excellent now.

Check for codes and let us know what you come up with.

hwy73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like the torque convertor unlocking-locking when going from criuse to coast and then back on the throttle again.

OP
OP
districk81

districk81

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could be the torque converter but its hard to pinpoint from what your describing. Honestly my gut tells me vacuum leak but yeah hard to say for sure. Definitely pull the codes. That could help us narrow down the possible issues. When it revs up and you think it's slipping what happens when you punch the gas? Does the truck take off or does the engine rev but the truck not really go anywhere?

As far as doing all your own wrenching, is this a 2 or 4wd? If it does end up being a bad transmission there's lots to be had at the salvage yards and to be honest swapping at a 2wd is not hard and a 4wd while more of a pain with the transfer case being there and all is doable as well. If it comes to that just get a good manual like Haynes and you should be able to accomplish it.

when i punch the gas it goes. it just revs up when a few hundred rpms once i get up to cruising speed then it'll come back down. and like i said it;ll actually increase the rpms when i take my foot off the accelerater sometimes it does it several times in a mile ohters it does good for 10 15 miles before it starts tardin' out on me. i really dont think my trans is going out b/c its my daily driver and i drive it 50 miles to work and back 6 days a week. it hasn't gotten ant worse but it hasnt got any better either. i got a vacuum pump and shoved a long hose dowm the dip stick and sucked out 24oz of tranny fluid and replaced it with Lucas trans fix. didn't seem to make a difference. this weekend im going to rem out my cats and make sure their not clogged up. some one told me that my be the problem. my power doesn't seem quite as strong s it used to so maybe that'll help . i'l let you guys nkow if it helps. yea i live way out in the boone docks we don't have to have emission testing on our vehicles to get them inspected so im gonna rem them cats all the way out with crowbar or whatevr i can fit up in there thanks for the feed back i appreciate it sorry it took so long fof me to reply been working long hours on a new job.oh yea i had the codes pulled p071 &p072 said banks 1 and bank? are lean. i sprayed a whole can of carb cleaner all over the vacuum lines and intake while it was running to see if the engine would idle up when i sprayed the vacuum leak but the engine never idled up? so if its running lean does that mean i need some new o2 sensors if its not a vacuum leak? how else could i go about finding a vacuum leak? also one other thing when im stopped at a light or sometimed just sitting and idling i have a real rough idle sometimes its bad enough where you think it may actualy die but it never does. and agaiin it doesn't do it constantly but if i start my truck and let it idle it is only a matter of minutes or seconds before it starts. im not sure if this problem is related to my tranny problem? what do you think?i've just recently changed the intake and the spark plugs

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
throttle position sensor change-almost exact symptoms you're describing, but that little $28 part fixed it.

idle air controller change to fix the idle woes. either clean it with brake/parts cleaner, or install a new one.

02 sensors w/ that many miles, surely due too.

PanHandler.