Trasmission Smells Hot Under Load

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sam1174

Reaction score
I bought myself a 2004 Expedition a couple of months ago, and it has been running great. However, I've taken it to the beach twice in the past month, and I've noticed that when I'm driving in the sand the transmission starts to smell hot. I haven't pulled any trailers, so I don't know if it smells when pulling, but in 4 low on the beach, I definitely notice an odor after driving it for 15 or 20 minutes. Any ideas why this might be happening?

AW_3_3

Reaction score
If it happens in 4WD I would bet its a Transfer Case problem, not a transmission problem. I am not knowledgable about the setup of the Expeditions TC, but it might need the fluid replaced. Other than that though, I am not sure. We have only ever driven ours in 4-Lo once, most of the time its in 4-Hi for the snow.

OP
OP
S

sam1174

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. That's what I was thinking too. However, I've taken it back to the beach a couple of times recently, and I haven't noticed the smell at all. I'm still gonna get the transfer case and transmission fluid changed.