Tree sap removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Highlightreel

Reaction score
I got some tree sap on my vehicle while parking it in the woods this fall. What is a good method to get it off of my paint? There are a couple spots where it has about a 2" drip on the paint. I have been too nervous to scratch my paint, even using my fingernails, since my vehicle has some scratches on it from I do not know when and they are in spots I'd have noticed if I did it so I'm trying to be super careful. I realize it's not good to even have left it on this long but now is the time.

Is rubbing alcohol the solution? I didn't even want to try that but any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

caplanm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are special tar and tree sap removers out there that work well. Try any auto parts store. You should take care of the tree sap, especially from Pines right away. Letting it sit will cause it to etch the clearcoart

Big H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hand sanitizer works as well, if u have extra to spare these days. U will need to wipe down more than once to get completely off, as it dilutes the sap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StealthyBulldog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also keep in mind that if you use the Bug and Tar remover (and probably any other heavy cleaner actually) once you get it all off, wash it with regular soap and water just to be sure none of the chemical is left on.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got some tree sap on my vehicle while parking it in the woods this fall. What is a good method to get it off of my paint? There are a couple spots where it has about a 2" drip on the paint. I have been too nervous to scratch my paint, even using my fingernails, since my vehicle has some scratches on it from I do not know when and they are in spots I'd have noticed if I did it so I'm trying to be super careful. I realize it's not good to even have left it on this long but now is the time.

Is rubbing alcohol the solution? I didn't even want to try that but any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Acetone.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure on acetone, that will remove any wax or protection on the paint too, but yes it will get sap off. Acetone is rough... One of the least damaging I've used is olive oil, but I recently got a bottle of commercial goo gone (walmart had It in the paint section) to get tar off of my wife's car. It worked quite well and I just used a microfiber cloth to get any residual goo gone off.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure on acetone, that will remove any wax or protection on the paint too, but yes it will get sap off. Acetone is rough... One of the least damaging I've used is olive oil, but I recently got a bottle of commercial goo gone (walmart had It in the paint section) to get tar off of my wife's car. It worked quite well and I just used a microfiber cloth to get any residual goo gone off.

Yeah I’ve had to use it once when there was dried on sap and another time when some superglue dripped on the paint. Tried goo gone first but neither budged.

You’re right though. Gotta be careful (I used a qtip) but it will work 100%. Just need to carefully apply and the wash off immediately.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Spray it with WD-40 then soak a rag with WD-40. Hold the tag over the sap to soften it up. Wipe off, wash, clay bar and seal your paint. Then it’s not as bad the next time.