Tree sap removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bow512

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My old truck got covered on the whole side with little speckled tree sap and left a rough finish.

Used a clay bar on it and got it all off and was smooth as glass afterwards. Just have to make sure to put some wax on afterwards.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just like N95 face masks, rubbing alcohol has become scarce lately. I haven't seen it in the stores I've visited in months.

Don K9SARK

Reaction score
I have been using liquid fabric softener for years. Weather permitting, I spray down the front of my vehicle the night before, the wash it the next day. It is not a 100% removal solution, but it softens up sap, bug splatters, and road tar, making them a lot easier to remove. I've never had a problem with this on paint or trim in over 20 years.

Bunky

Reaction score
WD-40 guaranteed to work and won't harm the paint. I wouldn't trust Gary Hanna's turpentine idea, though.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have been using liquid fabric softener for years. Weather permitting, I spray down the front of my vehicle the night before, the wash it the next day. It is not a 100% removal solution, but it softens up sap, bug splatters, and road tar, making them a lot easier to remove. I've never had a problem with this on paint or trim in over 20 years.

Interesting approach, I've never heard of this. Thanks for sharing.

BlueStangGT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Clay bar is the right way to do it if you have time to do it correctly. Regardless of method you’ll definitely need to seal the finish when you’re done since all of these methods will leave your clear coat wide open.

OP
OP
Highlightreel

Highlightreel

Reaction score
Thanks all. I tried rubbing alcohol and it quickly did the work. I will get it sealed asap as well as winter is here to stay Minnesota.