trigger wire when turned on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Sweeney

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Ford Expedition Max XLT. I have a relay connected to a wire that runs to my trailer to charge the batteries. I have been unsuccessful at locating the trigger wire to indicate the car is running or turned on. That was the quick story. I was using the charge pin port on the seven-way plug, but it was too frustrating letting the Expedition decide when to allow charge the trailer batteries. In either case, does anyone know a trigger wire that would turn on when only the car is running? I current been trying to find one, but my current one turns on when someone opens the door. That will not work for very long, as I will have a dead battery.

CamMO

Reaction score
the heated steering wheel wire/fuse in the passenger footwell is a common spot to hard wire a dashcam, and i think it is only powered when the ignition is on

OP
OP
J

Jeff Sweeney

Reaction score
the heated steering wheel wire/fuse in the passenger footwell is a common spot to hard wire a dashcam, and i think it is only powered when the ignition is on
Thank you I look at locating that wire and see if it works.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can second this, although I tapped the wire leading into the heated steering wheel module which on my '19 is under the drivers footwell, directly below the steering column. +12V only when the vehicle is on.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Sweeney

Reaction score
I can second this, although I tapped the wire leading into the heated steering wheel module which on my '19 is under the drivers footwell, directly below the steering column. +12V only when the vehicle is on.
Thank you. Testing it out now. I have a relay in near the engine that needs to only be turn on when the auto is running. Either need to trace it from the wheel well or bring a wire from the fuse. The one I selected turns on when the door is open and or auto is running. Does the heated steering wheel only turn on them when it is cold out side and auto is running?

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
no, there is a switched circuit at the HSWM that is only +12V with the vehicle is on or running. I just went to check the wire I tapped and it's a solid white (no tracer) wire going into the module. I tapped that and put a 1amp blade fuse on it there, which for me, that wire then goes into a switch, which then powers the relay in the engine compartment. I ran a wire through an existing rubber grommet in the firewall near the steering column.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire