trouble getting out of "P"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TonyM

Reaction score
2005 XLT, 2WD, 174k miles, shift on column...

Went to go to work this morning. Started truck, pressed brake pedal, and I couldn't shift out of park. Pressed brake pedal again, still couldn't shift out of "P". Waited another minute or so and it worked properly. Drove to corner (100 yards), shut off truck to see what's up. Did the same thing (wouldn't come out of "P" and then it did). Since I was able to drive, I continued on my way to work, running a couple errands along the way where I had to stop, go about my business, then restart the truck and get out of "P" and everything worked fine the first time around. I stopped 3 times on the way to work and it worked fine each time.

I've searched the forums looking for info but have come up empty on this, probably because I don't know what to call it or what others might have called it.

Is there a electronic switch or sensor that can go bad that tells the vehicle if you're pressing the brake when you go to shift it out of "park" as a safety feature? Is there a mechanical switch or sensor as part of the master cylinder or bake system? Or, is this indicative of something else?

Transmission was flushed by dealer 12 months ago. There are no brake warning lights and the brake lights function properly - at least they did when I got to work and asked a co-worker to see if they were shining.

Wondering what the drive home has in store for me...

OP
OP
T

TonyM

Reaction score
Got home without any issues today - no shifting issues at all. Ran the kids to a couple functions as well without problems.

Thanks Big Brian - this is a great lead and I now know what to call it. Will check fuses as well when I get a chance.

Hayes Riviere

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was it physically hard to move the shifter down the column to D? Or was it an issue of being able to shift it fine, but the Expedition wouldn't become unparked?

OP
OP
T

TonyM

Reaction score
Hayes R - The shift lever (on steering column) was "locked" or stuck in park and wouldn't move from there.

It did the same thing this morning as it did yesterday morning. First time I stepped on the brakes and tried to move the shifter it wouldn't budge. Waited 10 seconds tried again and it works.

Since it worked fine all yesterday afternoon and is exhibiting the same symptoms again this morning after sitting overnight, I wonder if everything cooling down and sitting still had an effect... Makes me wonder if it's the brake pedal switch.

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
then get down there and look at it. Its just a simple switch, maybe the connector is loose or something simple. You can also try jumpering it

OP
OP
T

TonyM

Reaction score
Replaced the brake switch at lunch. Easy job, indeed, and O'Reilly's around the corner had one in stock. Opened up the old switch to look around and two of the four contacts were scored/burnt like you might see with bad distributor points on an older vehicle. We'll see if this was the problem after the truck sits for a while, maybe overnight since the problem seemed to surface at first use of the day. Stay tuned...

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Replaced the brake switch at lunch. Easy job, indeed, and O'Reilly's around the corner had one in stock. Opened up the old switch to look around and two of the four contacts were scored/burnt like you might see with bad distributor points on an older vehicle. We'll see if this was the problem after the truck sits for a while, maybe overnight since the problem seemed to surface at first use of the day. Stay tuned...

Great. I was going to suggest that simply because it's a fairly common issue on the 3rd gens (and 2nd gens too I guess). Keep us posted.

OP
OP
T

TonyM

Reaction score
UPDATE: 3 mornings/days without the issue recurring. Looks like the brake switch was indeed the cause of not being able to shift out of park. $50 for the part and 5 minutes under the dash - fingers are crossed that this is indeed it. Thanks to everyone for the guidance and help!