Can’t reset BMS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexTheExpedition

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2017 Limited and am having random issues (Can’t open rear lift gate with remote button, backup camera won’t turn on, Auto Unlock randomly works and a locksmith wasn’t able to program a new key for it). It sat on a car lot for a few months so I checked the battery and it was pretty much toast so I replaced it. I have looked up how to reset the BMS but the high beams x 5 and breaks x 3 (some say 5) doesn’t work. It looks like I have the old school style BMS which is the loop that goes around the negative batter cable and not the one that’s built into the terminal itself.

Does anyone know the magic combo of buttons I need to press to reset this thing? If not, I’ve heard that I can disconnect the battery then Reconnect it and let it sit for 8 hours.

Any help is appreciated. I’d prefer not to take it to the stealership.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2017 Limited and am having random issues (Can’t open rear lift gate with remote button, backup camera won’t turn on, Auto Unlock randomly works and a locksmith wasn’t able to program a new key for it). It sat on a car lot for a few months so I checked the battery and it was pretty much toast so I replaced it. I have looked up how to reset the BMS but the high beams x 5 and breaks x 3 (some say 5) doesn’t work. It looks like I have the old school style BMS which is the loop that goes around the negative batter cable and not the one that’s built into the terminal itself.

Does anyone know the magic combo of buttons I need to press to reset this thing? If not, I’ve heard that I can disconnect the battery then Reconnect it and let it sit for 8 hours.

Any help is appreciated. I’d prefer not to take it to the stealership.

I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4.

What is the BMS you refer to? Is it the battery monitor system?

In my vehicle owner’s manual are instructions on what to do after replacing the battery. Did you read the manual (or look it up online)?

You mention a few issues such as the backup camera and the rear lift gate. I do not think those issues are related to you installing a new battery.

OP
OP
T

TexTheExpedition

Reaction score
Yes Battery Maintenance System. Yes, as mentioned, I’ve looked up ways to reset it but have had no luck. Does your owners manual say something different than what I mentioned in my post?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes Battery Maintenance System. Yes, as mentioned, I’ve looked up ways to reset it but have had no luck. Does your owners manual say something different than what I mentioned in my post?

Mine says the system can be reset after battery replacement by parking the vehicle locked and unused for 8 hours.

There is no mention of pushing the brake pedal or high beams, etc.

I bought mine new and have replaced the battery several times with an OEM (same spec) Motorcraft battery. I have never had an issue with the battery replacement.