Troubleshooting Check Backup Aid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Transporter

Transporter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The pictures look identical to me on both sites and they both show the same connector orientation... was that of the unit delivered different from the pics?

What makes you sure it's counterfeit? Is there some obvious performance issue too?

Regardless, I bought it direct from your link to RioRand, thanks.

Yeah that is the thing, the Amazon guy CANATA shows the 'Proper' pictures IE of an actual RioRand RD9, but what he ships is counterfeit and DOES NOT match the pictures. As I said you can take a real RD9 and stand it up on the end opposite of the OBDII connector, can't do that with the counterfeit as there is a big plastic pimp on the back. Also the OBDII connector is upside down which causes the LEDs to be pointing up distracting the driver when connected, not pointed down like a real RD9.

Additionally when I checked with RioRand they said these are counterfeit and looking for our help to pin down which Amazon and Ebay sellers are selling these cheaper counterfeit units. RioRand has actually lowered some of their pricing to be more competitive with the Amazon counterfeiters. One of the jerks on Ebay actually raised his prices claiming he was selling real RD9s when he is actually still selling counterfeits (got have the right sales narrative to keep fooling the sheeple).

In a 2003 5.4 Liter Expedition, it talks to the tablet but is extremely limited. It will not read Codes, will not clear Codes, will not show that the CEL is illuminated when it is. It does read Speed, RPM, MAF, Timing Advance, Radiator Temperature, and will estimate Horsepower but nothing else. Will not properly talk to Forscan.

Buyer beware, just because the picture in the Ebay or Amazon ad look just like the ones on RioRand, that doesn't guarantee that is what you will receive. When you receive it, it had 'Better' look exactly like the pictures on RioRand or its counterfeit! Again best bet is to buy directly from RioRand, it could be the best extra Five Dollars you send in awhile!

gulfman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same problem and the trouble code was C1983. It was the rear radar sensor.