trying to decide on a 2000 EB. price/issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I paid $4500 for my 108k '01 4x4 5.4 11 months ago in DFW Texas. I'd agree with the prior post that the price you've received may be a bit high for a 2wd EB model. Many guys with EB models will switch over to conventional shocks (added expense for you) vs troubleshooting and repairing the air-ride suspension components. So you'll want to consider that.

On the other hand, one thing I really like about the deal you're considering is the history of the current owner and (assuming) the service records you'll receive. That is huge. My truck came from a guy that owned it for 10 years --- and the truck was really taken care of. She's been trouble free since I bought her 11 months ago.

Good luck and keep us posted, man! And remember, there are always a ton of these for sale on CList and ebay and autotrader.com each week. But only a small percentage will be FSBOwner with the service records and 5-10 years of ownership history.

(BTW - My brother lives in Lexington, SC outside of Columbia)

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

troutsc

Reaction score
Bought it today. So far all I can see it needing right away is a lot of cleaning. Plan to go through and detail everything, clean/condition/etc.

OP
OP
T

troutsc

Reaction score
So far so good, put over 100 miles on it quickly. Had it waxed, paint looks refreshed except for the roof. Plan to pull off the rails/crosses and repaint them at some point. Going to try a headlight buffing kit as well. The family really likes this truck which surprised me. It's very comfortable and looks great, especially after having the exterior buffed/waxed. Interior is looking great, did a quick detail but plan to do a thorough job on the leather and also have the carpets professionally cleaned. Overall for 13 yrs old, it's quite clean and solid.

I'm thinking of throwing a bead of silicon around the sunroof and not worrying about it fixed, just want to make sure it never leaks. Is there an isolated fuse for it or a quick way to cut power to it? I don't want to take a chance of having someone accidentally hit the switch and end up with it stuck open.

@71rcode, I grew up in Dfw, Irving.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

troutsc

Reaction score
Up to about 400 miles so far, got new oil and a serp belt today. Also got a new gas cap and cleared a p1450, hopefully it's just the cap, if not ill investigate the vents/canister.
Running like a champ. Over the next month or so I'll do the hoses, trans fluid, rear end, coolant, break fluid changes. That's about all the ford dealer recommended today, otherwise seems solid.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Going to try a headlight buffing kit as well.

Don't waste your money!!! Do you have a tube of toothpaste?
Did the toothpaste clean on mine. Came out AWESOME!!!
There are a ton of YouTube videos on the toothpaste polish. It really does work well!

OP
OP
T

troutsc

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, already bought the mcguires kit. Hope it works.

I have an annoying rattle in the roof between sunroof and DVD player that I need to solve. Sunroof isn't working so I might try shoving some sponges in that area, it drives crazy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 72

M1757

Reaction score
I recently purchased my 2001 Expy EB with 106,000 from original owner for 3,000 he was asking 3,600 and I would have given him 3,600 but he said yes immediately to 3,00 cash. Anyway, as far as the rattle coming from your moonroof, thats the only problem my truck had and from the good folks on here it was obvious that the metal drip tray on the rear part of the moonroof falls off due to the two way-to-small screws holding it on. If you just go and re-install it in the factory screw holes it's gonna come out again in 100 miles. There is a flat spot, if you go towards the center of the truck, about an inch in. I drilled a hole in the drip tray and ran the screw through...it's never come loose since. You will have to remove the moonroof to do this, it's really pretty easy, just make sure to take a pencil and trace around the four screws that hold the moonroof in place on the inside of the truck. I re-installed mine three times in two weeks till I decided to move the screws that some engineer at 130,000 a year couldn't figure out. P.S...that rattle is the most GD annoying sound. Good luck.

Last edited:

markp

Reaction score
I recently purchased my 2001 Expy EB with 106,000 from original owner for 3,000 he was asking 3,600 and I would have given him 3,600 but he said yes immediately to 3,000 cash.to do this.

Almost the same story with my ghetto 98 expy. Guy was asking 3,600, I offered him two grand, and it's been a money pit ever since. :)

New tires, coils, plugs, injectors, shocks, repairing the coolant systems, and now the transmission crapped out. To burn to the ground or not to burn to the ground... for that is the question.