Tune up or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrasmussen

Reaction score
I bought a 2003 eddie bauer expedition with 100k, runs great and seems to be a wonderful truck.

I don't know if a tune up (plugs) were ever done, should I get that done? I think it is going to cost around 500.

Also, lately, I noticed the engine sequeling, sounds like a belt, is that something anyone here has dealt with? Will changing the fan belt fix that issue?

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
4.6 or 5.4? Either way it's one belt that runs everything.

If it's running good leave it,
Remember
"if it ain't broke, why fix it?"

OP
OP
M

mrasmussen

Reaction score
4.6 or 5.4? Either way it's one belt that runs everything.

If it's running good leave it,
Remember
"if it ain't broke, why fix it?"

Its the 5.4 liter. The motor runs fine, other than the annoying squealing that just started.

So leave the plugs? How about the belt, will a new belt probably fix the squeal?

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the tension of the serpentine belt (or have it checked). Yes, if it aint broken don't fix it. Just have the oil changed and inspect trans fluid.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well If it aint broke don't fix it. Sometimes that may be good advice. But not in your case.

BUT you are unsure of the plugs and if they are original or not So why not do a little Preventive Maintenance.

Pull one plug and look at it see if its looks like its original or not If you decide they need changed then at least replace both plugs and boots.

As for the belt again If it aint broke don't fix it but at least have it looked at and if it shows signs of wear then change it Again do some PM

Better to take care of it now before it fails you in the dead of winter.

While the belt is off check all the pulleys to make sure the noise isn't a bearing going bad.

If everything is original then its time to change parts. Yes they aren't broke, YET.
So now is the time to make sure they don't break. And if you do install new you will then have a record of when they were replaced

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Bedrck maybe in your region you can handy dandy do all that but the upper half of the county is Covered by a thick layer of ice!

Plus he has the 2v engine it ain't gonna break, it'll just spit it out when it's time haha

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can always take it to a shop you trust and let them look it over. It doesn't sound like you'll be doing your own vehicle work, so it may save you in the long run to let a reputable shop give it a once over. If the vehicle is from the north pay special attention to the radiator support cross member, they are notorious for rotting out with rust, and a very expensive repair.

-Mike

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
VERY TRUE BUT he has 100000 miles on the expy and its time for maintenance to be done since he has no idea when or if it has EVER been done.

Doesn't make a difference as to what region a person is in His question was about items that require normal maintenance.

Should he check the belt now and replace it if needed or before it breaks OR should he wait and fix it when it breaks. The answers given to him were if it aint broke then don fix it I don't think that is good advice from members on this forum

Should he replace the plugs with unknown mileage on them OR should he wait until it breaks( misfires etc) to fix the problem.

I do agree about weather being a factor BUT the OP asked if he should replace those parts and again saying "if it aint broke don't fix it" isn't very sound advice. Especially when it concern normal maintenance items.

OP
OP
M

mrasmussen

Reaction score
I agree with bedrck to an extent, I just want to know with an unknown vehicle is it a really good idea to change the plugs or is it not that big of a deal if they've never been changed? I was quoted ~$500 to change the plugs (and boots?).

As for the squeal, it just started (last few weeks). I'll probably take it to a garage and have them take a look, just to be safe.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As far as the spark plugs/ boots, can you get ahold of the past owner? And does he/she have receipt for tune up. If not, have the shop change them. These vehicles seem to behave the best with oem motor craft spark plugs torqued to 14 foot pounds. Be sure your shop returns all 8 of your plugs to you. Request it along with Ford plugs if possible. I've talked to friends at shops nearby me that had to dismiss employees for not changing all eight plugs. As far as the belt, mine squeals also when cold. I've got the new belt, I'll also spin and check pulleys when I change mine. You can inspect belt for cracks, wear. If you notice cracks, cuts, change it before it breaks. It controls everything, charging, cooling, power steering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edyk1986