Tuner...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Okgearhead

Reaction score
what brand of tuners is everyone is using, and why ? Are there any tuners with good canned tunes ?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what brand of tuners is everyone is using, and why ? Are there any tuners with good canned tunes ?

5Star is supposed to be great, they offer a few different tuner options that use their files.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I am assuming you have a 15-17 based on the image.

5 Star is an option, I am using a HyperTech. Do a search for my honest review. Probably would have chosen differently, but I was one of their Testers.

LMS(Livernois), and Unleashed are also very good options. I use LMS currently on my Edge Sport, and have been pretty happy. Only issue I had with them is their first gen Tuner did not Data Log, but their new one can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am assuming you have a 15-17 based on the image.

5 Star is an option, I am using a HyperTech. Do a search for my honest review. Probably would have chosen differently, but I was one of their Testers.

LMS(Livernois), and Unleashed are also very good options. I use LMS currently on my Edge Sport, and have been pretty happy. Only issue I had with them is their first gen Tuner did not Data Log, but their new one can.

This day has been approaching for 2 years now but I'm finally thinking of investing in one of the tuning mods out there Loki and while I don't want to put words in your mouth but I have 2 questions.

For someone who jumps in a drives, is there any point in getting the hardware tune adjusters? They call them different names but they all do roughly the same. Discounting the guys who sell resistors for throttle valves, is there any way for me to go wrong by buying 5star, LMC or Unleashed? I can assess the dollar/value only so far as this: "costs/manuf promises" where obviously the "cost/reality" would be better but I don't know very much about them. This is where smart people go to people smarter than they are. That's why I am asking you....

jeff

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can vouch for 5-Star using an SCT X4 as my tuning device. I’ve used them on my last 3 trucks and they’ve been great. Making adjustments to my tune is as simple as making a phone call, which I’ve done more than once to get the transmission programming where I like it (which most would consider extremely harsh).

@jeff kushner i know you directed it toward LokiWolf, but the big advantage of the “plug n play” hardware adjusters is the fact that you can simply unplug them and leave no trace of their existence. A proper tune leaves its footprints all over the PCM, so if Ford investigates, there will be proof it was tuned even if you return it to stock.
That being said, I’ve been tuned for 40K miles on my custom tune and my only trip to the dealer was for a TB issue that isn’t uncommon. My 13 F-150 had 50K miles, all of it tuned, my 09 F-150 had 35K, all of it tuned, and neither had issues that were tune-related.

You can’t go wrong with any of the options Loki provided. The only company I’ve seen repeated issues with is SSi. They are known for pushing the limit, and often to the owner’s detriment when they push too far.
Cost/benefit ratio is a very personal thing, but for me it was worth every penny. My truck is downright fun to drive, and the way it drives is quite the improvement versus my wife’s stock truck.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This day has been approaching for 2 years now but I'm finally thinking of investing in one of the tuning mods out there Loki and while I don't want to put words in your mouth but I have 2 questions.

For someone who jumps in a drives, is there any point in getting the hardware tune adjusters? They call them different names but they all do roughly the same. Discounting the guys who sell resistors for throttle valves, is there any way for me to go wrong by buying 5star, LMC or Unleashed? I can assess the dollar/value only so far as this: "costs/manuf promises" where obviously the "cost/reality" would be better but I don't know very much about them. This is where smart people go to people smarter than they are. That's why I am asking you....

jeff

AB covered it well other than one thing.

I disagree on the plug in module. I had them on previous vehicles, and 3 things I have had issue with.

1) Normally they involve ZERO transmission tuning. That is one of the things that helps tuning the most, being able properly put it down, and handle the added power.

2) I had a service writer tell me one time that he denies more service from plug-in modules, and I said why. He said the physical signs of its existence, and the fact it tricks sensors. On the Ford Diesels it is was easy to tell they were there in the Computers because of sensor Data.

3) They are actually a pain to remove quickly. The BoostMax for example. I used it on my 15 for a month or so(Liked the Power), but it has to plug in to the plug behind the pedal, and then run a cable through firewall to the module under the hood and it’s connectors. It is FAR easier to just return to Stock with a programmer.

If you want to try the plug in module for a Very minimal charge, yell! I have a JMS Boost Max sitting in the box in my Garage. PM me and we can discuss. This one is brand new, and never installed. It was replaced because of my wife totaling the 15 but never installed. I then started testing the HyperTech and am currently still using that.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The only company I’ve seen repeated issues with is SSi. They are known for pushing the limit, and often to the owner’s detriment when they push too far.

Totally agree!!

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks guys....your input is always valued. Maybe after the first of the year I'll do it. AM makes a very good point....."makes it fun to drive". THAT is very important. Some of you saw that I recently had a bunch of stuff down to my old car, $2,100 worth of struts, hyd motor & tranny mounts etc...BUT, it's fun to drive again!

jeff

OP
OP
Okgearhead

Okgearhead

Reaction score
I’m not looking to tune mine to the extreme, I just want to be able to maybe get a little better fuel mileage, a little more power for towing and get rid of the speed limiter. I had a Superchips on my 2011 F150 EcoBoost and loved it. It just wouldn’t work on 2017 Expedition.