Tuning software available from 5 star

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have to have that controller unit to choose which tune/file you are running? Can it be put away once you have selected the tune/file you want to run?

OP
OP
M

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Each time I have used Livernois calibrations you install them & yes you can remove the calibrator
The 5 star unit can be used to monitor several engine sensor out puts or removed
Plan to order later this month:burnout:

CobraO

Reaction score
I think I would either wait on this for a while, or give 5 star a call to see what they actually did that is specific to the Expedition (like had one on the dyno). I went through the description and see nothing specific to the Expedition, in fact it talks about the F150 6.2L V8.

Not to say these guys haven't done the homework, I actually have his tunes on my 2011 F150. I contacted them a couple of months ago about the Expedition and nothing was ready at that time.

While I'm at it, understand that this could void your warranty. I know it can be returned to stock before you go to the dealer for any work, but if the dealer knows what they are doing, and knows what to look for, they can see that the vehicle has been tuned and returned to stock.

OP
OP
M

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FYI
I have had a LMS calibration in my 2013 Taurus SHO since April 2013
Had to have state inspection to license it this year in AZ
Passed with no issues
I have told the dealers about recalibrating my vehicles for years now & never had any mechanical issues with any of them.
Told the dealer I was going to recalibrate our EXPY when we purchased it
Going to get the calibrating software & their calibration unit from 5 star the end of this month
Special communications required for EXPY not the same as the F150
Requires different calibrating unit
That is why the higher cost
While our EXPY seems to have adequate power when you get into the throttle, the throttle response is very lackluster.
when you hit WOT from a stop there is an obvious delay caused by poor programming on FORD's part
Maybe they do it on purpose but I do not care for it
The engine is capable of much better
Same engine used in the NAVI & it is rated for 450hp & 510lb ft of torque
No reason not to have that kind of performance in our EXPY's

CobraO

Reaction score
You have a good point about the same engine producing more power in the Navigator. The Raptor is another example of the motor making 450hp. It would be interesting to see what internals if any are different in the variations of this motor.

Then of course you have the Ford GT, another V6 twin turbo making 650 hp.

I'm confident that the 5 Star tune probably wouldn't cause any issues to this motor. That said, Ford will use ANY excuse to void a warranty. Some dealers are more mod friendly than others.

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is a difference in the various 3.5 Ecoboost. The Navigator and Raptor versions have a 10.0 to 1 compression ratio compared to the standard 10.5 to 1 in the standard Ecoboost's. The Ford GT version has a even lower ratio at 9.5 to 1. The lower ratio allows for a higher boost level without detonation, meaning more power. The downside is lower engine efficiency. In similarly equipped Expeditions and Navigators, the Navigator has a lower MPG rating.