"turbo" sounding whistle when I accelerate w/ P0171+0174

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

braddaddy

Reaction score
I have codes P0171 and P0174. 02, 4.6, XLT
I replaced the PCV elbow behind the TB and the PCV vlv.
Im wondering if this whistle is my issue? I idle at a steady 600rpms..no hesitation. When in gear, and accelerating, at around 1200rpms I get a whistle that my passengers -and myself- think sounds like turbo kicking in..(I dont have turbo)... when I release the accelerator it goes away...
Does not do it in park or neutral.
What can this be? And if it does not do it in park, will I be able to find it spraying carb cleaner around the area while in park if it is a vacuum leak?

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

braddaddy

Reaction score
Just to add....
I have NO issues with her:
starting, hesitating, wanting to stall, etc

I cleaned/sprayed the MAF sensor

I havent replaced the air filter....now that I think about it I should try to drive it without the filter just for a minute to see it that is an issue..it didnt look bad but I havent changed it in a while.

My EGR tube is broken at the manifold...I have a plug in the manifold right now...I was able to remove the tubs nut adapter...the nut rotted away. So tube is just open-plug in manifold.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you ever cleaned the exhaust ports in the throttle body?

Check youtube for this video
P0401 code ford Throttle body EGR port cleaning 4.6 Ford Expedition part 1 of 5