Unknown leaks and smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dj mitchell

Reaction score
So I have a 2007 ford expedition el and it is leaking from somewhere on the front of the engine and underneath it too. And it reeks of burnt antifreeze as well. Anyone have any ideas as to what it could be? I'm trying to fix it up as it is my parents weekend rig to go out to the desert. I've looked under it and around what I can without ripping it apart. If yall think I just need to rip it apart then so be it but if anyone has had this issue please let me know what it was for yall and I'll start there

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Plenty of YouTube videos out there will walk you through checking the connection under the overflow as well as the dreaded turbo coolant line leak. Buy a black light and crawl under the Expy and shine the light around to find the leaking areas. My 2016 leaks at the driver's side turbo however it leaks slowly enough to where I'll probably never fix it.

twodollars

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2007 will be a 5.4, I'd check all rubber coolant lines first. Start with t fittings for rear heat on pass side.

Steve Hartman

Reaction score
Is the smell outside of the car or inside? I am no expert; but if inside, I would suspect a bad heater core.

sub0cool

Reaction score
Probably the plastic coolant line couplers on passenger side . I replaced both of mine with Dorman coolant lines, with metal Ts iand Ys instead of plastic. Coolant probably leaking on top of motor and getting burned off from the heat.

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had that and didn't see a leak. It was leaking at the crossover pipe and going on top of the motor. The coolant T to the heater had already been replaced several years before.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It could be many things, most likely in my experience is the (plastic!) coolant crossover gasket, a loose/cracked hose, or that (plastic!) coolant T on the passenger side. I've also had a bad radiator cap leak some fluid on hard acceleration too, which was fixed with a new cap.

Last edited: