UPDATE: 03 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L won’t accelerate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 2003 expedition, Eddie Bauer. I get regular oil changes and had my tires done in 2015. I am a single mother of 5 and cannot afford to get new tires all the time. Anyway, 07/30/2017 my truck just stopped driving faster than 20MPH. I had my brother (mechanic) check it out for me.
These are the PO codes I had:
PO304
PO405
P1405
P0171/74
PO301
PO316
PO302
PO306

My brother changed the spark plugs and replaced my coil packs thinking this would solve the issue. His mother's truck (F150) had the same problem and replacing those parts solved the issue. But for me, it didn't do a thing.
The codes I have remaining now are:
P0174
PO300
PO301
PO302
PO316

UPDATE: so after all this, I got my MAF sensor cleaned and replaced my fuel filter. My truck went from not being able to accelerate over 20mph to going up to 35MPH. I got it diagnosed today and I have these two codes:
P0100
P0505

That’s it. The mechanic will be back tomorrow to test my idle control valve on his diagnostic computer. Any other input before then would be appreciated. As he was diagnosing it, while it was on and in park, it kept revving up by itself. There were a few times it sounded and felt like it was going to cut off but it didn’t. It’s never cut off on me. When you press on the gas it just feels like someone is tugging on my car going the opposite direction. I just need my truck fixed ASAP.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What happened?

Did you flood it? Run it without an air filter on place?

OP
OP
Z
Reaction score
What happened?

Did you flood it? Run it without an air filter on place?

No I don’t believe so. I’ve gotten my air filter replaced with each if not every other oil change. Like I said, it was driving fine all day and then that evening it just stopped accelerating.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well... unless its a kind of cascade failure where one major "true" fault makes other borderline-performing old stuff's numbers off enough to throw their own codes....

It kinda seems that something physically got sprayed into your intake, made its way past the filter to muck up multiple sensors, and got into your engine bay too and jacked up a couple plugs and/or coils (fewer codes after that swap though the main problem wasn't resolved)

Did you wash under the hood, paint the front, spray anything down there, or use a bunch of detergents and pressure wash the front of the vehicle? Or spill/leak large amounts of coolant or oil under the hood? Possibly in conjunction with loose intake parts or an aftermarket exposed-filter intake like a K&N????

Or do vehicle maintenance in a dusty environment or leave it opened up exposed to a storm or something???