Update for tail gate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FlyBoyd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wanted to pass this down to my expy brothers in case you guys have the same thing.

My tail gate was having a hard time closing a few weeks back. I could close it manually but the electric latch just wouldn't keep it closed. Finally one day I had this problem and finally closed it manually but then it was saying that the tailgate was open on the instrument cluster.

So I have an extended warranty and took it in to the stealership to have them look at it. Of course they needed to charge me $100 just to look at it and also something the extended warranty didn't cover. (although I talked to the warranty people and they were going to change the price so I didn't have to pay it after it got fixed). So I told them to fix it anyway and can you believe what they told me: All they did was download an update for my trucks computer system. Similar to an update on your phone. And guess what they still charged me the $100 for something that probably took them less than 5 min to diagnose and fix.

So if you have a 3rd gen limited with the auto tailgate and have issues, when you take it to ford have them check that first. Might save you some money.

IMO downloading and installing an update should always be free, but that's what a stealership does to keep their bottom line.