Upper control arm ball joints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so just got done everything with leveling my truck and ran into an issue...

So you know here's what I put on:
New complete struts all around
New sway bar end link
New tie rod end
New upper control arm+ball joints

Had the small issued I had worked out and it was aligned last Friday think 5/6/16... Anyways I drove it for a few days now and when I got out to check everything today after work the New control arm/ball joint I got from NAPA on the passenger side has failed...
It failed in the sense that the rubber housing around the joint came up a bit and exposed the insides and that grey grease poured out everywhere on the suspension... The shops all day they give me free labor and alignment and napa says they'll replace it again but why does this happen? And is napa not selling a quality part? Or is this mainly because of the leveling kit? Or should I be buying a different arm/joint that's more "heavy duty"?

If anyone can chime in its greatly appreciated so I don't keep running into this problem over and over... Also the new arm and joint will be put on tomorrow and alignment in afternoon...

Thanks guys

Edit: Figured I'd attach some pics so you can see what I mean...
bc75ef87f6e21224fd5788011d95c219.jpg12b70f554c7ff7a1b4de9eed45bebe7c.jpg7a1694fdb0172214570978f91315375e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
send it to the company first for replacement...or u can buy it

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
send it to the company first for replacement...or u can buy it

Yeah I'm getting a whole new arm free from Napa and my mechanic is going to out it on for me again for free and then it's going to alignment for free but I just don't want it to happen again you know? Lol

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the when the upper ball joint boot separated this is the grease I found poured out everywhere... Don't know how all this grease was in there but....
055babd5276c96dd62cb8312c47c82a0.jpg
8e141c62f084bceb3e33eb66dcace82a.jpg
3c100c531a894cfa3ec501715dcc58f4.jpg

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Before I changed out my upper control arms I did a lot of research and appear as though Napa was using cheaper china made parts or the lower level moog RK series. I Ended up getting the Moog K series (which is the problem solver series, supposedly higher end) from Rock auto. Note I also ended up getting the Oem Motorcraft lower ball joints from Rock

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before I changed out my upper control arms I did a lot of research and appear as though Napa was using cheaper china made parts or the lower level moog RK series. I Ended up getting the Moog K series (which is the problem solver series, supposedly higher end) from Rock auto. Note I also ended up getting the Oem Motorcraft lower ball joints from Rock

Yeah since this one is replaced for free I'm going to have to have it put on for now and just hope it doesn't split open again for a few months at least... Eventually I'll have to take a look at those K series from MOOG hopefully if I get those on they'll hold up better with the lift because these napa joints seem to suck

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So far so good on my uppers control arms I have had on for only a couple months but have put around 5k on them

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, for an update... The pass side has been replaced, NAPA gave me a part that has the same part number but appears to be very much higher quality.. They couldn't see the difference.... Anyways it has a clip and ring holding the boot so this will hopefully not happen again and I decided to do the driver's side replacement to so I can possibly have better parts on both sides... I'll post some pics when I get a chance tomorrow.